What is the best way to get rid of algae from an empty, used, just filled tank?

jonatheber

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I bought a used 46 gallon tank that was recently emptied out of fish. The last owner had some problems with red algae. There are still a few dozen patches of red algae on the sides of the tank. I have soaked all of the gravel at the bottom and the decorations in white vinegar for a few days, so I assume anything in the gravel is done. I have filled the tank and am doing 50% water changes every day (while running the filter) to get rid of whatever vinegar was at the bottom.

I tried to scratch off the patches when the tank was empty, and it was hard as a rock. I suspect they'll come off now with a scrubber. Along with doing that, are there any additives that would make sense to put in before there is ANYTHING in the tank? I haven't even started the process of cycling the thing, so now would be the time....

Any suggestions?

Shambhalaubie

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nerite snails are pretty awesome, I borrowed one from my girlfriend for my 10 gallon tank and he made pretty quick work of all the algae. I'll be moving him over to the 36 gallon ASAP!

Myboimydudemyfish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jonatheber said:
I bought a used 46 gallon tank that was recently emptied out of fish. The last owner had some problems with red algae. There are still a few dozen patches of red algae on the sides of the tank. I have soaked all of the gravel at the bottom and the decorations in white vinegar for a few days, so I assume anything in the gravel is done. I have filled the tank and am doing 50% water changes every day (while running the filter) to get rid of whatever vinegar was at the bottom.

I tried to scratch off the patches when the tank was empty, and it was hard as a rock. I suspect they'll come off now with a scrubber. Along with doing that, are there any additives that would make sense to put in before there is ANYTHING in the tank? I haven't even started the process of cycling the thing, so now would be the time....

Any suggestions?
I’ve heard that hydrogen peroxide works by destroying the cell wall of microorganisms. That’s what I spray any new plants with to kill any disease or algae. If there isn’t any water in your tank yet, that could be an option!

OP
J

jonatheber

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Myboimydudemyfish said:
I’ve heard that hydrogen peroxide works by destroying the cell wall of microorganisms. That’s what I spray any new plants with to kill any disease or algae. If there isn’t any water in your tank yet, that could be an option!
Ugh. After I did the vinegar thing I filled the tank and figured I'd do some scraping after I softened the patches up. I figured there was some preferred additive that would be good to use in a full tank that is empty and and the "cycle" hasn't yet started.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
If you go the hydrogen peroxide route you may want to pick up a couple bottles of it and pour both in there. Since you've not started the cycle yet and there are no living creatures in there, now would be the time to do it. Hopefully it will both kill and loosen the algae.

OP
J

jonatheber

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattgirl said:
If you go the hydrogen peroxide route you may want to pick up a couple bottles of it and pour both in there. Since you've not started the cycle yet and there are no living creatures in there, now would be the time to do it. Hopefully it will both kill and loosen the algae.
Just do a bunch of water changes to get the peroxide out? I'm basically doing 50% water changes every day anyway to get all traces of the vinegar out.

skar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hydrogen peroxide will convert back to water.
It's not really toxic.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
jonatheber said:
Just do a bunch of water changes to get the peroxide out? I'm basically doing 50% water changes every day anyway to get all traces of the vinegar out.
As @skar said. You don't have to be concerned about removing the HP. Since you are doing water changes every day I would skip the day after adding the HP to give it plenty of time to work.

New Threads