What is the best way to clean the outside of the glass of your aquarium.

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Red Hook, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Red Hook

Red HookNew MemberMember

Way back in the day when I worked at Fish Pros (Raleigh, NC) we sold a Windex type product for aquariums that was non toxic. I can't remember the name of it but I do remember it worked really well. Does anyone have any suggestions for glass cleaning other than the obvious wet cloth/papertowel?

Thanks!

2. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I just use a wet cloth :p You can also spray a paper towel with Windex far away from the tank, and then just wipe the tank with the paper towel (thus avoiding spraying the tank with the Windex directly, and possibly getting some in the tank). I've found plain water to be good enough for me; my only problem is water that drips down the front and dries, leaving water marks. (Which I can see from here... :;smack)

3. AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

I just spray a paper towel with Windex... No issues...

4. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, I have never seen or heard of another method besides the spraying a paper towel/cloth with window cleaner.

5. Ilyas

IlyasValued MemberMember

I use a mixture of water and lemon juice or vinegar with some news paper and a clean bucket.

6. Cichlidnut

CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I just use water. I know ATM sells a product like what you're talking about. I've seen it at petco.

7. JustKeepSwimming

JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

I spray a paper towel with windex and wipe it down. No harm ever done.

8. kevin215

kevin215Valued MemberMember

This is probably wrong but i use car wax. It does a great job cleaning and polishing the glass and an added bonus the little bit of water that i somehow always get on the glass while doing water changes bead up and don't leave water stains on the glass.
    Of course only use on the outside glass.

9. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

just water for me. by the way, Welcome to Fishlore Red Hook.

10. guster730

guster730Valued MemberMember

11. OP
    OP
    Red Hook

Red HookNew MemberMember

Thanks much for the replies! I have always been too paranoid to get cleaning products close to the tank but now that I see most use windex apllied to a paper towel away from the tank, then that will be the way for me to go.

Great to be here btw!