What is the best way to add my 6 barbs to my main tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've got 6 Black Ruby Barbs in my quarantine tank. Saturday will be 2 weeks in quarantine. So far, they look good. When I go to move them to my main tank, what is the best way...as far as numbers go? I know that they can be aggressive if kept in groups less than 5-6, so what are the options for moving them?
Move them all at once and go to every-other-day feeding for the first week?
Move 3 at a time, wait 2 weeks, and move the other 3?
Any other combination recommended?
If I only move 3 at a time, I'm worried about my Cory's and Pleco in the main tank, and that will only leave 3 in the quarantine tank. I don't want them to start "acting out" because I've cut their numbers, but I don't want a mini-cycle either. (I don't ask for much!)

I've checked my water parameters in my main tank a couple times over the past 2 weeks, and everything is still:
Ammonia-0
Nitrates-5 to 10
Nitrites-0
PH-7.8 to 8.0

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So right now, you've got cories and a pleco in this larger tank?

How big are your barbs? If small, I would just add all 6 to the main tank.

What is their current feeding schedule? I would just maintain them on whatever their feeding schedule is.

From what I see on-line, the barbs preferred pH is 6 - 6.5

Last edited:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would add them all at once and not feed the tank for a couple days. That's how I introduce schools and it's never let me down. Also, you can up the feeding for the week before to build up the bacteria colony.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Adjusting the feeding is really the safest way to introduces schools. Were it one or two fish, that's different.

A large part of how to introduce several fish at a time has to do with the quality of filtration. A biofilter that is running at 80-85% capacity has a lot less room for error than one running at 50%. The point is that as your stocking nears completion, the risk of overtaxing the biofilter increases. Sometimes adding one fish can be enough to bring it all toppling down. Though if the tank is reasonably stocked that probably won't happen

OP

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
OK, right now this is what I have in the tank:
38 gallon w/AC 110 filter
3 Brochis Splendens
2 Corys Rabauti
2 Panda Corys
1 Albino Cory
1 Albino Ancistrus

Of the 6 Black Ruby Barbs that I have, the largest is MAYBE 1" long. As far as the PH goes, my PH is higher than what is recommended for MOST fish. That's just the way it comes out of the tap. From what I've read, stable PH is more important than having it neutral. Mine has been stable from the start...never varying from 7.8-8.0
I'm kind of stuck with it, because everything I've heard/read says to NOT use any chemical agents to alter the PH.

I believe all of my fish are captive bred, so PH shouldn't be AS BIG of a problem for them.

My feeding schedule is once-a-day. I feed them in the morning before I leave for work. Once or twice a week in the evening , I'll give them some frozen brine shrimp, or some shrimp pellets. Also, I've been soaking the flakes/wafers/pellets in Garlic Guard prior to feeding.

The last fish that will be added to the tank will be 6 Odessa Barbs. I will get them and put them into the QT as soon as I move the Black Rubys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom