What Is The Best Water Testing Kit?

1. TheSempleton

TheSempleton New Member Member

Hi, I'm just wondering what the best and also decently priced water quality testing kit is. Thanks

2. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

For standard run of the mill testing api liquid test. The fresh water master test kit is all you need really cost effective quality.

3. OP
    OP
    TheSempleton

Okay thank you

4. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

5. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

The API test kit is okay, although you end up having to supplement it with other kits. It doesn't analyze the extremely important question of water hardness. If you get even a little serious about fishkeeping, that becomes more important than ammonia, once the cycle is done.
    It does have pH, which is useful. It's just too bad they left it incomplete.

Strips, if kept properly, are just as accurate. You get a lot of people saying they aren't good here, but if you test them side by side, you get the same results. Tetra strips give more info than the API kit. But they cost a considerable amount more, even if you go out and buy a hardness kit to go with the API master kit.

In time, you may want a cheap tds meter, and an occasional pH test - after the first few months, if your tap water is decent, you probably won't use the master test kit much. They are very good for when you start a new tank though, or if you have ammonia in your actual tap water.

6. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

True, i also got the gh and kh that i feel should come with this. The whole kit is basic and it is a swizz having to get the gh/kh separate even though its cheap. In fact since venturing in to salt water I've discovered kits that are accurate 0.5- 1 ppm. Got a nitrate one on route to me but the api will teach op well and get he/she used to reading results of liquid tests etc. Done me up to now anyway but like NB says i too only used the ammonia and nitrite one next to no times and to be fair even the nitrate one has dust on it at the moment.

7. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Once your tank is cycled at least 3 out of the 5 tests in the master kit won't ever be used again anyway. Maybe best to consider it a "Cycling test kit" rather than master test kit.

Though, I keep thinking about buying PH/GH/Nitrate kits just to test my tank since I haven't done any tests in 10 years.

8. N

Natalya Well Known Member Member

I don't know, I just did strips (twice) alongside API kit, and for some reason both strips gave me pH reading of 6.5, which was really weird to me, and API done later read ph=7.6. Much better. Nitrate, nitrite and ammonia were the same.

9. OP
    OP
    TheSempleton

Thanks so much for the info everyone, it is very helpful:)

10. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

API strips are famous for being junk. Nothing wrong with Tetra Strips but the API Wet kit will test ammonia. I"ll have both eventually. The API wet kit takes a stupid long time when you have too many tanks like some of us do. :)

11. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Most people use API master but as stated you then need to supplement it with hardness kits etc.

I use the Nitrafin master test kit it is more expensive but it does everything

Phosphate
    Calcium
    Nitrate
    Nitrite
    Ammonia
    pH high
    pH low
    Carbonate hardness
    General hardness
    Iron

Maybe overkill but you will know everything you will ever need to know about your water and it comes in a cool case so you look like a super villain when you pop open this case of vials and coloured bottles