What is the best type of filter for a 38 and 55 gallon tank?

dboll2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i am currently using the aquaclear, outside hanging, filter in my 38

is there a better one of similar type on the market?

fraserm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The general consensus is that aquaclear are among the best of the hang on back type filters, along with the Marineland Emperor series. An Aquaclear 70 would be great for a 55 gallon, as would a Emperor 400. On a 55 gallon, if you want to take it up to the next level, you could get a canister filter, such as the Ehiem Classic, Ehiem Pro, or Marineland C-Series.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquaclear 70 has a GPH flow of 300 so it should be used on a 30 gallon tank or smaller. On the 55 gallon you could use 2 aquaclear 70's or an aquaclear 110. I love my aquaclears. They are very cheap to run.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think taking the stock in the 38 into consideration, 10x turnover is unnecessary. I think the 6-7 times per hour turnover of the AC50 would be fine. For the 55 if you had messy fish or a heavy stock two AC70's or a AC110 would be good, but if you keep it light to average stocked or stocked with cleaner fish then a single AC70 would give you 6x turnover and be fine.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have the HOT Magnum in my 50 gallon. I really like it so far. I was also debating between a canister and a regular HOB when I got my 50 gallon and I'm glad I went with the canister.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
the HOT magnum is a very good choice. Hang on back convenience, and canister filter quality.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check out Sunsun on EBay. $43 gets you 265 gph canister and they work great.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would definitely go canister for a 55 or larger if not canister and HOB just to polish it up. I have an Aqueon Power 30(200 gph) on my 38g and it works great and I am quite overstocked. I thought about upgrading to the Aqueon 55 but its a behemoth and just way too large for my current space/tank.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I like aqueon as well. I have an aqueon quiet flow 10 on my 10 gallon and it is slightly over stocked and it keeps up just fine.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i have several H.O.T. filters and for the price they are hard to beat.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I'm a big fan of the Aqua Clears (AC) too. I suggest using as much filtration GPH wise as you can as long as the fish aren't being blown around the tank by the current.

For a 55 gallon I wouldn't go any less than the AC 110 @ 500gph or 2 AC 70's for a total of 600gph if you're going to use a HOB type. If you decide on a canister filter then you can go less than 10x the tank volume for your gph (5 to 8 x the tank volume would be fine).

I also like the Magnum HOT. I only use it for water polishing with the micron cartridge. I did use it full time a while back and it did a great job.

I prefer the AC's due to the fact they have easy access to the bio media and the fact they house so much of it.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads