what is the best tank for Betta?

windymeadow

Reaction score
I am getting such a headache from trying to figure out what kind of tank to buy for my Betta. I bought an (expensive!) baby BiOrb but he seems to really hate the bubbles. Also could someone tell me about lighting? I heard that they have sensitive eyes? I contacted the biorb company and they suggested that I use the Biorb without the pump. That seems ridiculous as it can't filter the water. I just have no idea what to buy for him. Please help, he seems so unhappy, he sulks at the bottom of the bowl and won't eat. I will be using the BiOrb for a different kind of fish, although he is so pretty in there. I would be so grateful if someone could help. Thank you!

lisa987

Valued Member
Reaction score
I got the Hex 5 gallon for my betta and he seems happy in it. It seems like a lot of people on this forum have it. I think it's a good choice especially because Rose on this forum (aka chickadee) who has quite a few bettas uses Hex 5's for them. I've read on this forum that it's best to give them at least 5 gallons. The filter is REALLY quiet and very effective because it has the 3-stage biowheel, but the 15 watt incandescent light that comes with it needs to be replaced with a mini fluorescent bulb that screws right into the same fixture. I've never heard the thing about bettas having sensitive eyes and mine seems just fine with it (he spends a lot of the time at the top and I don't see him hiding in the plants when the light is on).

If you have a Walmart near you that is probably your best bet. They sell the Hex 5 under the brand name Aqua Tech for $29.99, and the mini fluorescent bulb found in the same aisle is about $5. Otherwise, the chain pet shops sell what appears to be the exact same Hex 5 under the brand name Eclipse for $45-50, and the fluorescent bulb for $10-15. Walmart = much better deal

lisa987

Valued Member
Reaction score
By the way, the Hex5 has no bubbles and the water outflow from the filter is gentle so he shouldn't be bothered by currents. Here's a pic of my guy in his Hex5:

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do like the Hex5 tank and I got all mine from Walmart. I added the Mini Fluorescent bulb to the tank although the last one I bought had a mini fluorescent in it. (the only one I ever bought that did)

I am getting bigger tanks for a couple of the bettas not because they need them although they do like them but because the fish I have in with them make the Hex5 too small. (the loaches, the Cories)

I do love the ability of the Hex5 to fit in almost anywhere and it is not obtrusive. I think they look quite nice too.

To me, if there has to be a great tank for a betta, it would be this one because of the price, but I like the Corner Eclipse 5 tank as well. If you want a traditional tank that will be a permanent home for the betta and not much else (maybe a couple of Otos) the Eclipse System 6 is the best. I bought the Hex5 because of the price and my babies seem to like it. The price is right and it can be a beautiful tank if you want to design it. Lovely tank, lisa987!

Rose

windymeadow

Reaction score
Thank you both soo much. I bought the Hex 5 by Eclipse at a Petsmart for 47.00. I didn't realize that it was the same as the Aqua Tech at Walmart. Thank you for telling me. I haven't started using it yet, so I can return it. Thanks for saving me 17.00! Your fish is so pretty, by the way.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
hi, I beleive betta fish are also known as chinese fighting fish, so i think im talking about the same ones. This is why I would never get a betta, i am always confused what size tank is good for a betta. They have these really small tanks, called betta condos, which are no bigger then the plastic container thats about a half a cup of water they come in. Then i hear of others putting one betta fish in a 5 gallon tank. Is it bad to put them in such small tanks. Like this betta condo would hold about as much water as half a coffee mug. im just so unsure. I know their territorial and originates in small rice patties. But i don't know?

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
my lil brother just got a betta and is putting it in what seems like a half galoon tank. Why arent bettas supposed to be in small containers, cuz i heard they were used to that and teriitorial so only would want a little area

lisa987

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how large the bettas' "puddles" are in nature (someone else could probably answer that better), but my betta had to be in a small fishbowl for a few days and he just sat there and it made me sad to look at him. When I put him in a larger aquarium he became very active and now he is always exploring. Also, you might notice that bettas' in small bowls will often move away from you, but when they are in a larger tank they like to swim up to whatever side you are closest to and watch you. I think he feels safter when he has more space to retreat, whereas a betta in a little bowl is exposed and vulnerable. Those tiny betta bowls or "condos" are like living in a closet and they also don't allow for a heater, filter, and proper lighting. But most of all, I just think it's cruel to make a fish live out his whole life in a half gallon of water.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yea i no..i never had a betta but i do feel sorry for it,,, but i cant change the tank or anything or i'll get in trouble....i think if i get some plant and a background it will be nicer for him..i especially feel bad when i see some people giving their bettas a 5 gallon or sometimes 10 gallon tank, then i see other people who put their poor bettas in the tiniest fish bowl possible (almost a quarter gallon) :'(.. i feel bad for it right now...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom