What is the best sterilization method for tank and accessories post-parasites?

1. redgal Member Member

Sorry if this question has been asked before but I'm uncertain about the whole sterilization process but there seems to be conflicting info.

I have a 10g tank and that my two betttas shared ( divided) and they recently died of what I strongly think was a parasite or internal fungus infection that didn't respond to many different types of medications and proved fatal.

So, I need to disinfect the whole thing, including rock caves, gravel, net, fake plants, filters, syphon and heater.

What can I use safely but that will kill the parasites? What is the method used? How long do I let it soak for and how do I sterilize all the equipment and decor too? etc etc

Also how do I know that this will have killed off the germs for sure? plus, how do I know the chemicals won't kill the future fish I put in there? I'm almost tempted to ditch the tank and buy a new one at this rate!

Thank you so much in advance.

2. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Sorry to here this!!
    A 10% bleach solution wipe down will kill any organics. Boiling rocks, etc will work too.
    If u use a bleach solution, rinse everything well and let it air out until bleach smell is gone. Filter media throw away. Rinse syphon and Wipe down heater with solution too.
    Bleach and or boiling will probable ruin your net...depends if organic or not..ie...bleach will eat the cotton fibers.
    After complete, fill and start your cycle again.
    **** be sure to rinse everything well**** chlorine Bleach will disapate with time. After cleaning and rinsing please let it air out, at least 24 hours.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I use 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. The only thing I'll add to Ted's good advice is after rinsing until I can't smell bleach, I OD the tank with dech,orinator and let it sit for a while.
    Empty then re-fill and re-start the cycle.
    I usually just toss any rocks/gravel.

4. redgal Member Member

Thank you both. I followed your advice today and now everything is sitting in dechlorinator :)

I do have another question....I have a bunch of aquarium silk plants, good quality ones but two of them look as though they are corroding, like I can see the metal and some rust coloring in a few spots. Are these safe to re-use? What if I seal them with aquarium silicone? I thought aqautic plants were safe and wouldn't corrode??? (I hope this is not what killed my fish or I'll be writing the manufacturers a serious email....)

Thanks again.

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Redgal. Sorry to hear about your fish loss and tank woes. Great tips above. Personally I avoid using anything, plants or decorations that may have wire or steel in them. (stainless steel is ok as it won't rust) If you have wire plants and you're seeing rust, I would personally throw them out.
    Ken