what is the best size of tank for a single red tailed shark?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by redtailshark96, Jan 5, 2013.

1. redtailshark96New MemberMember

hi everyone. i am new to fishlore but i know the basics of fishkeeping like the nitrogen cycle. i have a juvenile red tail in my ten gallon right now and i am going to move him to my forty gallon tommorow. i just finished cycling the forty gallon. so my question is, is forty gallons a big enough tank for a single red tail shark? and also could i add some tankmates in the forty gallon? thanks in advance.:D

2. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

40 gallon could easily hold one rts. i would however put him in last (after all the other in habitants) because after they establish a territory they can be really grumpy, where as if they get put in last they establish a territory but are also the shark will ''adapted'' to the other fish being in its territory. it also depends on if he is a grumpy shark or a more relaxed shark.

3. MsheresyValued MemberMember

I would suggest at least a 55g.

4. redtailshark96New MemberMember

thanks fish fanatic:). i think i will keep the red tail on its own in the 40 gallon because i hear they get big. i might upgrade to a 55 gallon if i want more fish in the tank.

5. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

I would think that you could put other fish in the 40 along with the red tail shark (assuming 40 gallons is enough space for the shark). The shark is a bottom dweller, so as long as you add fish that inhabit the middle of the tank or the top of the tank, you should be fine.

6. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

if you wanted to put other fish in with a the red tail shark I would have thought a 75g tank would be better, depending on the fish.. also I agree with msheresy about the 55g

7. fishlover123456New MemberMember

i forty gallon tank will easily hold the fish and a bunch of other fish no more red tails though they will fight a Bala would be cool to

8. MsheresyValued MemberMember

Maybe while its young but little fish grow up to be big fish (not all but you get what I'm saying). A 40B is not sustainable for it when it's full grown, let alone with other fish. If you to run a ton of filtration, lots do lots of WCs and risk overcrowding then go for it. If it is tiny and you know you will either 1) get a larger tank or 2) find it a new home then go for it. Just my .02

9. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

And in what realm do you think a Bala will fit in anything less then a 300gal tank with a school of other bala and special current filtration? 4ft catfish.

I would say a 55gal would do much better for an RTS, i have seen some BIG rts on here and other forums, i forget how big they can get sometimes, and fat too. You will definitely end up wanting more fish too so don't kid yourself:p we all end up wanting more fish.

10. MsheresyValued MemberMember

I think the most important lesson here is to research EVERY fish BEFORE you buy it. Also, don't just take our word for it. Look all over the Internet and compare the opinions etc. in this case, it is a bad idea. The bala idea was a little worse........;-D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice