What is the best set up?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by dbrunsii, Jul 28, 2015.

1. d

dbrunsii New Member Member

I have a 55 gallon tank with about 10 plants in it 10 zebra danio (for now), lyretail swordtail and a bushy nose pleco and I plan to add a rainbow shark and something else. Anyway I have 2 T8 lights on for about 10 hours a day filter always running and a powerhead (Marineland Maxi-Jet 600) always running. I just got a Fluval CO2 kit for up to 40 gallons really cheap (comes with gauge, counter and diffuser). I also got a CO2 monitor thing that says the CO2 is low.Here are my questions:

Will the CO2 be okay to add even though it says up to 40 gallons? I imagine it is better thank nothing. Another thing with this is it doesn't have a solenoid so should I manually turn it off at night with the lights and turn on air bubbles and how many? Also should I install the diffuser below the powerhead intake ideally?

Should I keep the powerhead on all the time? I'm not sure if there are dead zones other than above the powerhead. I also imagine keeping it on at night would help with aeration with the CO2 installed.

I heard I should take out the mechanical/chemical filter from my tetra filter unless the tank looks dirty and this will help the plants. True or False?

Note:I also got some super cheap blue and white LEDs I'm going to replace the T8 with. I can use the T8 on a smaller tank.

Thanks for any help!

2. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

Ummm I don't know the answer to most of your questions sorry but I would imagine your CO2 could not hurt and I think it would help out your plants but it may not give you any results it might promise because of the tank size. I would use it if I were you

3. n

nicole4434 Well Known Member Member

The filter should only ever be cleaned when water flow is restricted and only with old tank water, by chemical im guessing you have carbon, those should be replaced when the manufacture says to replace them (just the carbon not the package it comes in), when I clean my filter I use a wire brush that I only use for my fish tank to clean the pipes and get gunk out, I swish my sponges around in the old water, I don't have carbon on my filters as except for the removal of things from the tank (medication, tannins) you don't really need it in and it takes up space were say an extra sponge could be put to better use (its always useful to have extra cycled sponges in case you have to set up a hospital/qt tank).

Hopefully others will chime in to help with the other questions

4. OP
    OP
    d

dbrunsii New Member Member

Thanks I put in the CO2 and the sensor is happy. As for the filter are you talking about putting the white floss bag without the carbon or are you talking about extra sponges for the good bacteria and are these white bags for filtration okay to use for extra build up of good bacteria if I just rinse them.

Thanks.

5. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

If I understand you correctly, one of the things that you are wondering about is whether normal aquarium A/C (charcoal) will remove plant nutrients.
    Normally it will not remove neither ammonia or nitrate; some products which use A/C in conjunction with ion exchange resins, etc, will remove these substances, and might therefore effect your plant growth. Any product that does remove ammonia and nitrate will be clearly marked as such (in that that ability is the products' selling point), and will also be much more expensive.
    I have no idea as to whether A/C will effect any micro nutrients that your plants might require.
    All the best to you, rick

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  6. n

nicole4434 Well Known Member Member

The white floss bag that the carbon comes in is only kept if you are replacing the carbon, you just slit it open, dump out old carbon and replace with new, if you haven't cycle the tank yet there is not much good bacteria in the floss bag and it can be replaced with a sponge to house more good bacteria than the floss bag will, I just tossed my one and only carbon floss bag didn't care about loosing the bacteria as my tank is fully mature, there are plenty of sponges and the bag was in such bad shape it was disintegrating (what a waste of product, you would think they would make it more durable) not that space is filled with a little replacable sac of the bio balls or what ever they are called, they are really good for housing bacteria. and if the sac goes I can replace the bag for a new one and keep the balls

7. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

Slit open the white floss bag to replace the carbon??

Anyone else do that? Not saying it's wrong but I'm curious.

I always take the bag out and throw in the trash. I take a bag and rinse very very well in old tank water before replacing in media cartridge.

Mind you I am running 2 hobs on my 26g. Never do I clean both filters at once

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice