What is the best red sword plants that will stay around 12-20 inches tall?

Miccoh Mendoza

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a big amazon red Rubin sword that has grown to be massive, to the point where it’s leaves has killed my stem plants from shading and killed my crypts due to sucking all the nutrients. I’m looking for a replacement, I still want a red sword just don’t want something to be massive. Any suggestions??
P.S. don’t mine the green sword plant floating around :)

Attachments

planetplanet

Reaction score
Miccoh Mendoza said:
Hi all,
I have a big amazon red Rubin sword that has grown to be massive, to the point where it’s leaves has killed my stem plants from shading and killed my crypts due to sucking all the nutrients. I’m looking for a replacement, I still want a red sword just don’t want something to be massive. Any suggestions??
P.S. don’t mine the green sword plant floating around :)
**** i didn't know they get that big I just planted a red rubin a few days ago in my 29 gallon

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Echinodorus horemannii or Echinodorus purple aflame. The latter grows slow so it may be more manageable for you.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
planetplanet said:
**** i didn't know they get that big I just planted a red rubin a few days ago in my 29 gallon
Agree! Mine are so tiny! I wish they grew like that!
What's up with this?
20191214_122100.jpg

Purchased and grown a few years in between, that's how they grow there.
Maybe it's because my tank is 26" deep? Btw I know I have a calcium/magnesium deficiency.

Oh nvmnd, they are Kleiner Prinz swords. Well maybe those?

My oriental swords stay even smaller. They are pink, not red. Maybe they'd be better too?

Miccoh Mendoza

Reaction score
planetplanet said:
They get that big, I measured one leaf and it was close to 4 feet tall... keep in mind this take is with CO2 and good fertilizer of root tabs

Miccoh Mendoza

Reaction score
Miccoh Mendoza said:
They get that big, I measured one leaf and it was close to 4 feet tall... keep in mind this take is with CO2 and good fertilizer of root tabs
Sorry to clarify, I measured from the bottom of the leaf to the top. Meaning i included the stem.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Still wow. Must be the co2. The tallest melon sword I ever had was only 14" max. Very short stem.

Miccoh Mendoza

Reaction score
Here’s a photo before it got super big and my tank was thriving due to it not taking up the light and nutrients on the roots

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom