What is the best Pre-filter for HOB

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Msheresy, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Msheresy

Msheresy Valued Member Member

I have read that the Fluval all get clogged easily. What are some other options that have worked for you? Links?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2012
  2. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

mine has worked great so far. i have not noticed mine get clogged at all, the flow from my aquaclear20 is always strong. here is the one i have, it hooks perfectly with the AC.

3. OP
    OP
    Msheresy

I was considering one of those. This would be on a 10 gallon. Which size do you have? I don't want something that appears bulky and takes away from the fish/shrimp scape.

4. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

5. bankruptjojo

im not sure what size i have actually. there was only one choice where i got it. its either the 2 or 3.

its deff kinda bulky but works good. you can just put a sponge over the intake, that would not be very bulky. i have not done this but others have.

6. Lunas

Lunas Well Known Member Member

On my ac 20 I used those and they would get clogged every other day currently looking for better solution. I think i may just run it with no pre-filter for a while.

7. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

I've not had that problem.

The problem with your proposal of no pre-filter is that all the stuff that is blocking your prefilter will now get sucked into the actual filter media and block that much more quickly. It's more of a pain and more potential for mini cycles every time you mess with your main filter media.

Just a thought.

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't use prefilters on any of my tanks, and I don't have minicycles despite washing the media in tap water. I also don't lose fish to the filter. Even one day old cichlid fry can avoid the intake. IMO it's a bigger pain to have to go into the tank to mess with the prefilter than it is to simply pull the basket out of the filter housing, or to pull the intake tube out for a cleaning.

9. OP
    OP
    Msheresy

I have cherry shrimp and scarlet badis in this tank. I want to prevent babies from getting sucked up.

10. aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

I've had this problem. I finally stopped using them, mostly.

Coarser sponge might work better. An AC sponge with a hole cut in it would probably be good, but I haven't tried it.

11. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

12. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Those are the ones I use on my ac mainly for plant debris, I clean them every couple weeks, no clogging problems.

13. bankruptjojo

Sponge filter will work OK. I have a per filter hob because my tank is overstocked with cherry shrimp, pygmy corys, Otto's and Pearl danios. The hob will deff give more filtration. Also as heavily planted as this tank is I want some water flow.

14. OP
    OP
    Msheresy

This is also why I want to do a prefilter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice