What is the best position to put your wave makers

Discussion in 'Saltwater Tank Equipment' started by safzola, Jun 11, 2015.

1. safzola

safzolaWell Known MemberMember

hi there i have had my wave makers in all different positions but they keep blowind my sand so you see the bottom of the glass ..i have one facing down and the other straight across :;hi1

2. Slug

SlugWell Known MemberMember

Depends on the measurements of your tank really and your rockwork. As well as coral placement. Like for a longer SPS tank I want two powerheads opposite each other so the currents crash together. In my small tank the width is hardly anything for my Vortech so I just have it placed halfway to 3/4 up one side centered and it crashes into the other side wall.

Really comes down to your specific tank and how you can eliminate as much dead space as you can and find that balance with blowing sand/coral/etc. Move the one facing down to hit some rocks or tilt it up so it hits the glass. Just play with it and see. You might even consider pointing it up at the surface to get surface agitation if you don't have much currently and the one flowing straight is giving good flow. Just eliminate the dead areas.

3. James Cochran

James CochranWell Known MemberMember

I've had a lot of luck with putting circulation pumps on side glad panels pointed up towards the surface. This creates a full flow for me.

Depends how many pumps you have. You pretty much just have to stare at it for a week and you'll tune it in perfectly

4. OP
    OP
    safzola

ahh thank you i have one pointing straight up to the top and one straight down

5. Semiaquatic

SemiaquaticValued MemberMember

Ya, it was a lot of trial and error for me. And purchasing more powerheads. I'm glad I bought the jebao rw-8 because I can adjust the amount of flow quite a bit more than the three speeds on the wp-10s I have. I have the rw-8 pointed across the front of the tank blowing from one side to the other, I have a wp-10 pointed across the back so nothing builds up behind the rocks, and I put one in a corner to blow from the back to the front of the tank because I had managed to create one dead spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Semiaquatic

And James Cochran knows his stuff about flow for sure so whatever he says will work

7. James Cochran

James CochranWell Known MemberMember

Just make sure there's no dead spots. If there are add more flow and then some
    more just because haha

8. Semiaquatic

I need to move my mushrooms because I have too much flow now in the spot where I put them so they aren't fully expanding

9. OP
    OP
    safzola

thats great thank you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice