What is the best fish for cleaning a fish tank?

Samwuzhere

Reaction score
I have a pleco to clean the algae in my tank and it's doing a great job, I can't spot any algae in my tank. However my tank is dirty. I know that to keep it clean I also have to clean it my self, but I'm looking for a fish that might help me keep it clean. It looks like it is mostly fish waste and plant matter making it look dirty. I have an under gravel filter and a filter that hangs on the back, so I know it isn't poor filtration. Should I feed my fish less? And will Cory catfish help, or will they just produce more waste? I'll try anything except snails!

Greener907

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Plecos create a lot of waste..but at least he's keeping the tank algae down. You won't find anything that will eat fish poo..but Cory cats are great little scavengers for fallen food and they're fun to watch. You could also try adding ghost shrimp depending on what fish you have in there-some fish will see them as food. They are great at cleaning up the bottom. Is your water tinted a color? Do you have driftwood? I would cut back on feeding and maybe do twice the water changes for a few weeks and see if it clears up

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Agreed. You'll be hard pressed to find any creature that is going to eat fish poop. I've observed my nerite snails from time to time will eat fish poop but i think that is more a rare occurrence than a rule. The only good way of cleaning poop and plant matter out is doing a gravel vac

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom