What Is The Best Diy Filter You Know How To Build

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
good morning all, so i want to know if anyone here has every diy'ed a filter, and how you did it, and what you used to make it? looking for one a tad bit better then one made from a water bottle, something larger. i have an air pump and airline tubing. if anyone has any diy i would love to hear the steps you took.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Never made one, but do you subscribe to the King of DIY on youtube? He has several videos on this topic.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes i watch him alot, but he does alot with either water bottles, plumbing, or sums. what im looking 4 is something like the size of a small boxish or like, a pitcher with a cover type thing. i have made water bottle ones but just hoping someone here has has success building a fair sized one for say....a 20 gallon

thanx for the reply! always greatly appriciated

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
no i havnt, i like it though!!! i may try this one, but im not sure the canning jars i have are big enough, but i suppose i could try to find something larger. if i was to use a plastic bin type thing, does it have to be spaciffic plastic? or is all plastic aquarium safe?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
another question, can i use cotton balls instead of floss? just curious if cotton balls are sufficiant

Mazeus said:
Anything that is food safe would be aquarium safe.
i just saw i need an air syone, i dont have any spare air stones, i need to make one that doesnt require airstone, i only have airline tubing

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ms rose said:
another question, can i use cotton balls instead of floss? just curious if cotton balls are sufficiant
Dont use cotton balls. Get a bag of polyfil from Walmart. Super cheap and it works really well. You could also make a submerged moving bed filter using a container and some bendy straws cut up and an airstone.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ms rose said:
i have a singgle output air pump and standard airline tubing
So you know those plastic containers (round ones) at Walmart or target? Get one of those and put some holes around the bottom rim (3/32" holes) then put some similar holes in the top. Fill the container with bendy straws cut to 1/4". Drill a hole in the top center and feed the airline in and attach the airstone close to the bottom. You may want to put some lava rock in the bottom for weight and extra boost.

It will be like a k1 filter inside the tank so looks cool and works great.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I never found cotton stiff enough, I use the filler after my dog guts one of her toys, works great. You don't actually need a air stone but I prefer one myself.
NavyChief do you have any pic.?

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive made myself many filters (mostly sumps and canisters). There is no single "best" filter, its whats best for you tank and bioload. A 2.5 gallon tank with a betta in it needs completely different filtration than a 200 gallon tank with an oscar and plecos.

Ive always made my own filtration systems for my bigger tanks because when I started getting into keeping big fish over 25 years ago a good canister filter was $500 and I didnt have that kind of money as a young teen, so I had to make it.

The basic principle with filtration is the bigger the tank and bioload, the more water you need to move. You need a canister with lots of media that moves 300+gph so you have a huge area for your BB to grow and "clean" the water as it comes through (by clean I mean remove ammonia and nitrites along with some waste).

My smaller tanks Ive always run small sponge filters or HOBs. A 20 gallon is an inbetween size that I just toss HOBs on because I feel like you cant make a better filter than an Aqua Clear for the cost (you can get them for $25) and also have it look decent.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DuaneV said:
Ive made myself many filters (mostly sumps and canisters). There is no single "best" filter, its whats best for you tank and bioload. A 2.5 gallon tank with a betta in it needs completely different filtration than a 200 gallon tank with an oscar and plecos.

Ive always made my own filtration systems for my bigger tanks because when I started getting into keeping big fish over 25 years ago a good canister filter was $500 and I didnt have that kind of money as a young teen, so I had to make it.

The basic principle with filtration is the bigger the tank and bioload, the more water you need to move. You need a canister with lots of media that moves 300+gph so you have a huge area for your BB to grow and "clean" the water as it comes through (by clean I mean remove ammonia and nitrites along with some waste).

My smaller tanks Ive always run small sponge filters or HOBs. A 20 gallon is an inbetween size that I just toss HOBs on because I feel like you cant make a better filter than an Aqua Clear for the cost (you can get them for $25) and also have it look decent.
could i make a canister for my 20? and if i can, how would i do so?

yukondog said:
I never found cotton stiff enough, I use the filler after my dog guts one of her toys, works great. You don't actually need a air stone but I prefer one myself.
thats a wonderful idea. should i boil the filling (from dog toy) befoor use?

im trying to use stuff i already have. now if this canr be done, then i will just buy a hob, but i would really like to make a well fonctioning one myself. i love the idea of diy and i also enjoy crafting lol

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yukondog said:
I dont have pics on me I'm at work and about to go do a boat return to port visit.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You definitely could, but more than likey youll spend more than a good HOB that comes with good media costs. Ive made them out of buckets and PVC pipe. Buying a pump for it will set you back half the cost of a Aqua Clear HOB, so again, youll be spending more money unless you have all the PVC you need sitting around, along with an extra power head plus media.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
NavyChief20 said:
I dont have pics on me I'm at work and about to go do a boat return to port visit.
very cool. enjoy yourself and thanx for the input!

DuaneV said:
You definitely could, but more than likey youll spend more than a good HOB that comes with good media costs. Ive made them out of buckets and PVC pipe. Buying a pump for it will set you back half the cost of a Aqua Clear HOB, so again, youll be spending more money unless you have all the PVC you need sitting around, along with an extra power head plus media.
lol i have 10ft of 4 inch pvc pipe......yes?

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The 4" pipe is a good start and it will make up the main body, but its 1 of 30 parts youll need. Then all kinds of threaded end caps, gaskets, 1" for inlets and outlets, elbows, connectors, etc. PLUS you still need the pump itself to move water through it.

Go on youtube and search DIY canister filter. Youll find some info.

As for your pic, no. None of that will work. Youll need a bucket that will seal water tight with a lid on it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom