What is the best canister filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by llfish, Nov 28, 2012.

1. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

Ok I am thinking of getting one for my 36g. I want one definately for when I get my 125g. So I would love opinions based on experience. Here are my choices of Canister filters : Marineland
    Eheim
    API
    Fluval
    Rena

The are all near the same price, I want great quality.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Of the different brands I have, the Renas are by far the best. However, there is a huge difference between the XP2 and the XP3. I'm not at all impressed with the media capacity of the XP2. But factoring cost, the sunsuns are the best. The fluvals come in third on my list.

I would definitely get one for your 36, and I would get 2 for your 125. I run a 525 gph sunsun and an XP4 on my 125.

3. oscardude

oscardude Valued Member Member

I have a sunsun hw306 and a api nexx. The sunsun is by far superior and you camt beat the price. :D

4. OP
    OP
    llfish

I have never heard of the Sunsun I will have to see if there are available in Saskatchewan. I have heard great things about Rena from one of the managers of Petland.

5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, which models are you looking at? I can't see that an Eheim would be near the same price of a Fluval of equal flow rates. IME the Fluvals are 20-25% cheaper at the same rate... but I am in Aus, so it may different in Canada.

I can't go past my Eheims, very very quiet, great quality, efficient. The only 'gripe' I have is that there is no spare media area like the Fluval I had. Meaning if I wanted to add crushed coral, or chemical media, I can't because the canister is already full.

6. oscardude

oscardude Valued Member Member

Check ebay for the sunsun

7. OP
    OP
    llfish

The eheims are on the petsmart website and they are online only, I am going to Petsmart tomorrow and will compare prices I am leaning toward the Rena brand so far. I will have to look at the prices there, I cant find them on the petland sight grrr.

8. carolo43

carolo43 Valued Member Member

I have Fluval's but if I was to buy another canister, it would be the Rena 3. Fluvals are noted for airlock problems when starting them up and sometimes it takes me almost forever to get mine going but they do filter well and are quiet. The airlocks are too big of a nuisance to ignore, however.

9. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, canadian eBay has sunsuns, but they are shipped from the states and shipping is almost as much as the filter.

10. OP
    OP
    llfish

Yikes, I think Ill go with a Rena thank you for all your help yet again!

11. m

melovefish Valued Member Member

I love xp super quiet and waters crystal clear i llllooooveee iiiiittttt maintinance very easyy

12. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

i like my xp too .. perfect size for my 38 gallon hex. quiet and does a great job.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice