What Is The Best Canister Filter Out There?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by gothicrose5, Apr 23, 2018.

1. gothicrose5

gothicrose5Valued MemberMember

i currently have a sun sun hw303 running on my 2 55 gallon tanks...I removed the spray bar and the one is blowing water down enough to move the rocks the other does not do that but does have pressure like the other one......
    But i do want to change out the canisters to a better ones....i am looking at thepenn plax 1200 or the 1500 for my 55's what do you guys think....
    I have had really no problems with the sun suns other than slight leaking outthe top over time but we do get it to stop.....
    i know that poking the bear on a working system might make the system break down on something but i do want the best as this is my only hobby......thanks for any advice you can give....Tank 1 has angel fish tank 2 has rasboras and is cycling that tank will end up with dwarf gouramies and tetras...and the rasboras will go back to the store or move into a 10 gallon tank......

2. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

The only thing that makes a canister "better" is the amount of water it moves, if its durable or not and the most important aspect, type of media youre using in it. For a small 55 gallon tanks, Id use Sun Sun as theyre cheap and reliable. Small leaks can happen in any system.

3. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

4. OP
    OP
    gothicrose5

gothicrose5Valued MemberMember

bio balls ceramic rings and phosphate ammonia and carbon pads from ebay i use and i also put zeolite in there and i add poly fill that bag from walmart.....the pads link is here.... Aquarium Filter Active Carbon/Ammonia/Phosphate Remover Pad SUNSUN HW-303B/403B | eBay

5. Tony M

Tony MValued MemberMember

I like to overstock and therefore I over filter. I’m running an FX4 on a 46 gallon bowfront.

6. PatientStars

PatientStarsValued MemberMember

I have the Cascade 1000 on my 50 gal. Recently switched over from an Aqueon HOB that had way too much current for my little guys (big tank, mostly nano fish). I'm loving it. Super easy set up, and easy to customize what media you want in there. It was recommended by some folks on here, and they definitely steered me in the right direction!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice