What Is The Best And Cheapest Place Online To Get Fish?

Thy Balloon Belly King

Reaction score
I just can't seem to find any cheaper and good places online. Almost everywhere the shipping is ridiculous, I would like see what u guys all have to say about any good ones.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Shipping is usually always going to be expensive, as it should be. They're sending you live fish, with water, in the mail, sometimes across the country. That's not a cheap thing.

If you have an LFS near you, they can often order fish for you, and then you can get the fish without the cost of shipping it yourself.

OP
Thy Balloon Belly King

Thy Balloon Belly King

Reaction score
Yeah I know it's going to be expensive I just wanted see what the lowest was and my lfs is petsmart and petco or I can go to That Fish Place but I don't think they do special orders

Camistank

Reaction score
I just ordered fish from Wet Spot, the shipping in my opinion was reasonable considering I ordered them and had them by noon the next day and I'm in a different state.

bigdreams

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
"if you have to ask the price you can't afford it”. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I am totally just kidding.

Shipping costs seemed painfully expensive to me too , I only have ordered online once for fish... but when I thought about the time saved (did just show up at my door), buying from good source that quarantines their fish better than my LFS, healthier stock, etc, the total overall cost was lower to me... Anyway.. there so a risk to buying online but if you buy from good place there's a lot of upside. I wouldn't bother for tetras but if there was a special fish you couldn't find locally, I think it is very much worth it.

One more thing, buy lots of fish in an order so the per unit cost of shipping is lower. I bought 12 loaches from trinsfish, was very happy.

Mister Krabbs

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am fairly new to the hobby, but I feel I have already learned a lot...... with lots more to learn.

My answer to your question is this.
Find the largest city near you. Then do searches for aquarium clubs in that city. Once you find one club, then you will easily start finding links to other clubs. Within these clubs there are individuals that breed fish. Maybe I am just really fortunate, but the local clubs here have some REALLY good breeders. Hopefully you can find what you are looking for within the clubs/breeders. If so, go shopping or something with the family and stop by a breeder's place of business to pick up your new fish or shrimp. Now, this may not be the cheapest place to buy stock, but you can save on the shipping by picking the fish up yourself. In addition, you put the fish through less stress by picking it up, taking it home, acclimating and putting it into your tank versus having it shipped to you or picking up a special order at the LFS.

one local to me that ships is has some award winning shrimp

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The moment you say "cheapest" fish, my longtime fishkeeper radar says "buying diseases". You will save a lot of money by finding a good store.
Stores cut prices by cutting corners, and cutting corners means fishfarms using hormones and antibiotics for accelerated growth and colour, crowding beyond good sense in shipping and selling fish that are sick to maximize profit.
Think long term, take your time and find good fish. From your other thread, your serpae are sick on their first day in. From a store with proper quarantine, they might have cost double. But they'd live 5 years, as opposed to 5 days or weeks.

OP
Thy Balloon Belly King

Thy Balloon Belly King

Reaction score
True I did buy them from petsmart because my dad wouldn't drive me to That Fish Place for only one species of fish

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's hard when you have to depend on another driver - it gets easier as you get older. I was lucky to be in a city with 3 shops in walking distance when I was in that situation. I could also take a city bus to stores to double check.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I haven't personally, but I've had friends use them and like them. They have a superb fish replacement policy if it dies in transit (and maybe for a bit once you get it as well, I don't recall). I don't think shipping is terribly high, but their fish are very often overpriced.

Shane83

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
TexasDomer said:
I haven't personally, but I've had friends use them and like them. They have a superb fish replacement policy if it dies in transit (and maybe for a bit once you get it as well, I don't recall). I don't think shipping is terribly high, but their fish are very often overpriced.
Thank u . TexasDomer- If u don't mimd me asking. What is ur personal preference for ordering from an online source?

OP
Thy Balloon Belly King

Thy Balloon Belly King

Reaction score
Well the best closet fish shop is 40 minutes away and it's hard to get a ride down there all the time

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've ordered from msjinkzd and WetSpot, both with great results!

New Threads