What Is The Best African Cichlid Food?

tamtam50

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have bought different kinds of cichlid foods. At first I bought the same food that the previous owner had been feeding the fish, TetraCichlid floating pellets for medium to large cichlids. Then they had little fry so i bought some flake from TetraCichlid and I ground the pellets and the flake for the fry and fed the large cichlids with the floating pellets. Well all was good til one day when I was running low on food and my husband and I went to purchase more. We found ourselves looking at a shelf full of fish food and not sure of the quality, color enhancers, flake, pellet, worms, freeze dried, Name brands galore etc..... So we bought Omega One Super Color Cichlid Pellets made with Fresh Seafood. I thought that I was a wonderful fish owner taking great care of my little friends. I tossed some of the newly bought Omega One into the tank and you would have thought that I placed trash in there. The happy, healthy, hungry cichlids started to feed and quickly ejected the food out and came to the front glass looking at me as to say "What were you thinking! You call that fresh seafood!!" Well after another trip to the LFS, I bought the same Tetra Cichlid that I had been along with some Omega One Freeze dried Blood worms. Home again, I mixed the foods together hoping that the fish would eat all of the different foods including the OO Super color. Well they sorted threw the foods and left the Omega One Super Color Cichlid Pellets behind. That being said, it was a bad purchase. So for all of you Cichlid Fans, what is your suggestion to feed our little fish that will keep them healthy and happy?

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Use a hikari brand. They have some of the healthiest foods out their, and their food doesn't contain ethoxyquin like many of the other brands. This is a pesticide that is harmful to your fish.

tamtam50

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DutchAquarium said:
Use a hikari brand. They have some of the healthiest foods out their, and their food doesn't contain ethoxyquin like many of the other brands. This is a pesticide that is harmful to your fish.
Thank you for your advice! I will get some right away. I love this forum!

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There really isn’t one “best” food.

Try feeding a variety of foods. This will be better than one really good food.

I stand by NLS.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom