Well Known Member
- Reaction score
A true newbie here. It's now been about four months, and I've never had algae. I've always assumed algae is green. Then, I found out it can be brown, and worse, Black Beard algae! There's a lot of information out about algae magnets, cleaners etc. But, in all this time, I've never found out what that not quite invisible scummy stuff is that grows on the inside of the glass. Is that algae? The otos love to eat it, so it must be algae. I take a blue scrubby thing and clean it off now and then, because I want the otos to have food. Or, I grab a Marimo Moss ball, which works with much less pressure than the scrubby thing. But, is it algae? Place a plastic container filled with water for a week or so on your kitchen counter and there will be a build up of this stuff!!! I don't object to it. I just want to know what it's called and if I'm doing something wrong!!!