What Is That Snot On The Wood? Question

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ioana Dog, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Ioana Dog

Ioana Dog Valued Member Member

I have a piece of wood (grape wood maybe) that developed a snot like substance on it. What is it and how do I get rid of it?

I boiled the wood that I got from an aquarium store and soaked it before I put it in my tank. It’s been in there about a week. No other algae in the tank and I have lot of plants. IMG_1511.JPG IMG_1510.JPG

The white stuff around the plant is flourish glue BTW. Hopefully it doesn’t stay like that! I guess I overdid it with the glue.

2. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

Its harmless growth. Some stuff eats it. It will go away on it's own eventually... maybe.

I got rid of my grapewood because it never stopped after 2 months and I was tired of looking at it. I hate grapewood, with a passion, because of that stuff. Other driftwoods will only do that a month or so at the most. I gave up on grape wood. Local sourced driftwood has been good for my tank. Minimal tannin leaching and just small spots of that white stuff (fungus?) in remote spots.

3. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

Ioana Dog Valued Member Member

Does spider wood have the same snot problem? I have that in another tank and spent a good amount of money on it. None of my other wood has issues - I have cholla wood and just plain drift wood.

4. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

I haven't had long term issues with my spiderwood "tree". The snot lasted a few weeks

5. Brannor

Brannor Valued Member Member

The piece of mopani driftwood in my tank got it on the lighter part of the wood. Some of the fish pecked at it occasionally... it went away by itself after a few weeks. I didn't quite think of it as snot so much as jelly-like substance. :p

-G

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

The growth is jus5 fungus.

If you don’t like it, it’s pretty easy to pick off and shrimp and plecos will nibble at it.

7. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Iys natural on all wood dont worry about it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice