What is Rummy nose tetra technical name?

Chrisfish7887

I’m looking to buy some more rummy nose tetra online this time but the only place I can find with them in stock labels them as Petitella bleheri which is very confusing to me is this the new species name where is used to be Hemigrammus bleheri? I just want to match the fish I already have

FinalFins

There is a species of 'rummynose' tetra in the genus Petitella (P. georgiae) however any rummynose under bleheri I would consider the same fish, and are most likely just aliases. I believe Hemmigrammus is the more widely accepted name for bleheri from what I remember, however, I am not caught up on any new re-assigning of genera.

LowConductivity

Which one? As far as I know, there are 3 species sold as “Rummy nose” avail in the hobby

Chrisfish7887

There is a species of 'rummynose' tetra in the genus Petitella (P. georgiae) however any rummynose under bleheri I would consider the same fish, and are most likely just aliases. I believe Hemmigrammus is the more widely accepted name for bleheri from what I remember, however, I am not caught up on any new re-assigning of genera.
To my knowledge the ones I have are Hemigrammus bleheri but I’m having a hard time finding anything on the various different names. I just don’t want to end up with false Rummy noses
Which one? As far as I know, there are 3 species sold as “Rummy nose” avail in the hobby
I want to see if Hemigrammus bleheri are the same as Petitella bleheri

chromedome52

A couple of years ago a paper was written about the Neon Tetras. For some strange reason, included in this paper was the finding that Petitella georgiae was probably more than one species, and that the other two Rummynose Tetras were close enough to move them from Hemigrammus to Petitella. So all the Rummynose are now in Genus Petitella, currently three species and one undescribed.

MacZ

A couple of years ago a paper was written about the Neon Tetras. For some strange reason, included in this paper was the finding that Petitella georgiae was probably more than one species, and that the other two Rummynose Tetras were close enough to move them from Hemigrammus to Petitella. So all the Rummynose are now in Genus Petitella, currently three species and one undescribed.

Said paper is probably this one: Bittencourt, P.S., Machado, V.N., Marshall, B.G., Hrbek, T. & Farias, I.P. (2020): Phylogenetic relationships of the neon tetras Paracheirodon spp. (Characiformes: Characidae: Stethaprioninae), including comments on Petitella georgiae and Hemigrammus bleheri. Neotropical Ichthyology, 18 (2): [1–11]

In a taxonomic paper it makes sense.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishRFriendz
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
HaileStorm
Replies