What Is On My Gravel? Help

1. babiimoore

babiimoore Well Known Member Member

what is this on my gravel?!?

IMG_0429.jpg IMG_0428.jpg IMG_0427.jpg

Attached Files:

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

If you’re talking about the yellow/brown color, it’s harmless and unavoidable algae.

3. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Are you talking about the brown algae?

4. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

oh okay, good! thank you.

5. Krysty

Krysty Well Known Member Member

algae

6. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

this next question has nothing to do with the algae.

i am currently setting up a 55 gallon upgrade from my 15. my female molly is aggressive, she will be moved into the tank tomorrow when i receive the heater. she took a big chunk out of my bettas beautiful fins (he will be staying in 15 gallon) and i dont want to risk any further damage, i love my betta to death. i just put the molly in a breeder net attached to tank until the heater arrives. is this cruel? she seems upset but shes so mean to all the other fish and i cant have her fighting the betta. will she be okay in the breeder net for the night and morning?

7. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Are you sure it’s a female and not a male? Usually, mollies aren’t aggressive but every fish has their own personality.
    It’s not cruel. She can survive in the breeder net. Its in the 15 gallon right? Not the unheated 55?

8. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

the breeder net is in the 15 gallon. yes, im sure shes a female from her fins. she bullies my male molly the most and sends him down to live in the plants. shes much larger then him. the only fish she left alone was the betta, until now. of course a day before she gets a new huge tank. its probably because shes cooped up in the 15 gallon, she claimed the whole front of the tank as her territory. the store i bought them from said theyd be fine in even a 10 gallon and i believed them.

9. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Stores. Just gotta love em.
    She’ll be fine. Might even teach her to play nice. Poor betta. It would even be ideal to put the others in the 55 first and let them stretch their muscles a bit. Then she’s the newbie. That sometimes works too. Or, you have a Miss Missy on your hands that’ll always be a bully. I love finbabies! :)

10. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

do i need to put anything in the water for the bettas fins? hes swimming like normal happy as can be but im just afraid it could cause an infection of some kind.

11. Gypsy13

If you don’t have snails a half dose of aquarium salt dissolved in a cup of aquarium water will help keep infection from setting in. But, the very best thing is super clean betta warm water. Watch him closely. Keep updating us? Please? Besides, you’ve got to post all the pics of the new fifty five! :)

12. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

hes a very beautiful boy. but now he has that poor rip in his fins. IMG_0459.jpg IMG_0447.jpg he already has about 3 spoonfuls of aquarium salt i put in while setting up the tank. its heated to 80.
    this is my 15 gallon IMG_0460.jpg i got fake plants for the 55 and i absolutely hate it!! will have to fix that, the heater is still trying to heat it up.

13. Gypsy13

Your betta sounds gorgeous! And I’ve seen some beautiful fake (usually silk type) plants before that were beautiful. Until they went into the aquarium. I love real plants. Lots and lots of real plants. I need to get some anacharis once I get my guppies separated. Don’t need more places for fry to hide!

Keep doing what you’re doing. We’re here if there’s a problem. :)
    And if there’s not.

14. AquaticJ

This is a little late, but mollies and guppies will do fine in lower 70s water.

15. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

its temping 70.4, is that okay?

16. AquaticJ

Yeah, especially if you’re going to heat it a bit.

17. OP
    OP
    babiimoore

my guppy fry keep ripping up my plants haha. why are they doing that? makes no sense to me IMG_0470.jpg

18. Gypsy13

Anacharis is wonderful fish food. They’re practicing. Luckily guppies don’t do too much damage. My goldfish would have it stripped in less than a minute.