What is normal neon tetra behavior?

BlueBetta

Reaction score
Hi I have betta with 5 neon tetras and 2 cory cats.

I'm wondering what kind of behavior is normal for neon tetras. Mine sometimes seem to get along, but other times one attacks another one. Is that normal? Are they just playing? I'm half wondering if my betta is being a bad influence.

BlueBetta

JP

Valued Member
Reaction score
That's not unusual behavior for any type of schooling fish when kept in smaller groups. One or two are always going to be the dominant ones and try to prove it constantly to the others. I have a group of roughly 50 in my 125g and it's a constant sea of red, white and blue. :)

BlueBetta

Reaction score
WOW 125g tank 50 neon tetras! COOL! Wish I could do that. Sadly not enough time, money, or space.

BlueBetta

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
holy mackrel!! thats alot of fish and i too and wondering what normal neon behavior is cause my one fish sort of bullies the other.

zoraida4370

Reaction score
Well, I found this old post on bullying neons and it seems to be normal. I posted a question earlier about mine doing that. I one especially that chases the others. He has staked out this one plant and he circles it. If they aren't in "schooling" mode, he is patrolling this plant. If the others come near it, he chases them away.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom