What Is My German Gold Ram Doing? Pregnant?

GracieGoodman6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got my German gold ram 2 weeks ago from my LFS. She was housed with 1 or 2 other rams, which may have been males (dont really remember). A few days ago I noticed that she was getting a big round, I thought I was over feeding so I cut back a little. Today I noticed that she had dug a small indent in the substrate and has been just sitting there and kind of rubbing her belling on the bottom. She also has this white thing poking out. I’m not sure if she is pregnant since I’ve never seen this behavior from her and she is the only fish in the tank.
IMG_1449.JPG
IMG_1450.JPG
IMG_1451.JPG
IMG_1452.JPG

Here are also some videos of her doing the behavior
file:///Users/8403910/Desktop/IMG_1453.m4v

file:///Users/8403910/Desktop/IMG_1453.TRIM.m4v

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She is gravid, meaning full of eggs, and is getting ready to lay them (only livebearers get "pregnant"). With no male to fertilize the eggs once they are laid, she will eat them and go about her business. Nothing abnormal!

Edit: Oh, and the white thing sticking out is her breeding tube. Perfectly normal as well.

GracieGoodman6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AngelTheGypsy said:
She is gravid, meaning full of eggs, and is getting ready to lay them (only livebearers get "pregnant"). With no male to fertilize the eggs once they are laid, she will eat them and go about her business. Nothing abnormal!

Edit: Oh, and the white thing sticking out is her breeding tube. Perfectly normal as well.
Okay thank you, thats good to know! Will she still keep producing and laying eggs every now and then even if there is no male?

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sometimes they will, other times they will just reabsorb the eggs without laying them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom