What is my Electric Yellow Labidochromis African Cichlid doing? Help

1. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I added a, Electric Yellow Labidochromis African Cichlid, and it's swimming up and down along the glass fast like it is chasing it's own reflection. It doesn't care about the Tiger Barbs, Black Mollies, or the Red Wag platies and they don't care about it either. Its like they can't see each other in a way.

Avoiding actual meat, what could I blend in with dried blood worms that all the fish can eat, yet meet the Cichlid's diet? Dried brine shrimp? Do I need to worry about it eating tropical flakes?

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It sounds stressed, yellow labs need rock crevices & caves to hide in.
    it really should be in a malawi set up not a community tank.

3. delta5 Well Known Member Member

It has stopped and is checking out the cave and driftwood. I'm going to paint my new cave today and it'll be ready to go in tomorrow.

4. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Went out and bought a real rock from a LFS at 2.99 a pound. The cichlid loves it. It is shaped to where it provides a natural cave/tunnel that can be entered from either side. It took me like 30 minutes of digging through boxes of rock, but well worth it.

Should I get 3 more cichlids and have a 1M:3F ratio or will this one be okay as a loner?

5. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Cichlids really prefer their own kind but that said, I have a tank of what must have been tiny baby mbuna fry that are in my 140g with my Oscar, blood parrot, and JD. Yes cichlids but not mbuna. And a leopard fish.
    Keep an eye on him-the lab and he actually prefers more Herbivore type food, but you can add those as well but mine eat cichlid pellets and cichlid flakes.
    Good luck