What Is My Comet Doing ??

Alisha arnett

Reaction score
I have 2 comet goldfish ace and ruby My comet goldfish ruby has been swimming against a current in the tank and ace has been chasing ruby and nipping at side and fins they were swimming next to each other and burrowed a hole in the gravel and just swam against each other for about 3 minutes and then ace would swim away and ruby would stay in the hole and when ruby does swim away stays close to the bottom I believe they are to young to be mating I'm not sure what's going on. Please help !

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you see little greenish dots, then they're mating. What you describe sounds a lot like what the fish in my pond were doing last week.

Alisha arnett

Reaction score
I'm not sure on how to tell the gender I dont think they are old enough to mate though

MaximumRide14 said:
What size tank is this?
30 gal.

It's kinda hard to tell the white one with the red spot is ruby and just hovers in that hole until ace chases.

Attachments

Alisha arnett

Reaction score
puffer boi said:
30 gallons is way too small for 2 comets i suggest you rehome them our get a pond or 125+ gallon tank.
Lol everyone says that but I've had 2 comets for 5+ years in a 20 gal. Tank and they are huge and healthy and still going strong as long as you keep the tank clean and keep water levels under control they are fine I buy feeder fish and see how big I can get them yea I know tank size can stunt growth and I know they have heavy bio loads and what not I was just asking what specifically my fish was doing because I've never had fish act this way.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with puffer boi. What's your levels? What's the pH? What are you feeding them? Just because they are alive doesn't mean they are thriving or even happy.

puffer boi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
there probably stunted meaning they dont grow but there organs do, its a slow and painful death.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom