What Is My Amazon Sword Trying To Grow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kowhai

Valued Member
Reaction score
In ridiculous fast speed my amazon sword is groping the lid of my tank. Is it trying to flower or propagate?
I will have to cut it off sadly, just wanting to know what it's doing. I already had to cut some leaves off as it was pressing itself against the front and took too much swimming space up...

Attachments

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh wow! Haven't seen that happen in a very long time!!! It's trying to flower. Cut it off if you want to, otherwise it WILL grow out of the tank! lol Very nice sir. That is one happy plant! And probably HUGE! Heh

Balian

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your sword is trying to flower, which is an indication it's doing really well! I've had this happen a lot with my swords recently, if you keep the runners under the water they will produce new plants. If however, you let the runner grow outside the water, it will flower. I've been keeping my mine within the water and I've had tons of new plants growing, which I cut and replanted for propagation. Feel free to check my recent post for some tips and pictures.

If you get new plants, I'd recommend letting the root structure grow before cutting and replanting, here are some of mine before I replanted them (on the right hand side).

4.jpg

Kowhai

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm glad it's a happy plant. Sadly I do need to cut it off as I'm going on holidays for 6 weeks and my hous sitter is good enough to do water changes every 10-12 days and feed the fish. Don't want to put plant maintenance on her list. I hope it will happen again when I'm back in control!
I was actually looking into propagating it so at least I now know what to do next time!
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 41 63.1%

Top Bottom