What Is More Important During A Power Outage?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Acadianer, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Acadianer

Acadianer Valued Member Member

So this past winter we were hit with a bad ice storm and it knocked out power to most of the province and for some it was hit harder than others. During this time, we only lost power for about 12-14hrs. We instantly put a large blanket on our (at the time) 55 gallon. This happened at night, so the next morning, I took the blanket off to scoop anbd pour the water some to create some surface agitation. Power came back on around noon that day. We lost a total of 6 fish during that week and I associated that to the power lost, so I ended up buying an APC battery backup. At the time, I had the HOB and air pump connected to it and it could basically run like 12hrs like that.

Well now, I have two larger tanks with canister filters and bigger air pumps and such, so having all of that plugged in would only run like 45 minutes or something haha. My Question is, what would you want to try power longer? Air pumps or canister filters? One tank is overtocked with cichlids, the other is no way near overstocked with just smaller fish beside one angel...

Thoughts?

2. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Can you get a small generator?

3. OP
    OP
    Acadianer

I have one, but doesn't start most times lol

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would run the air stone as I would think you'd be able to run it longer than canister filters. You can take the biomedia out of the canisters and put them inside the tank (in a breeders net or something) and run air stones.

5. OP
    OP
    Acadianer

Yeah, the air pumps would definitely be less power for sure, just wasn't sure if it would be enough or not

6. TexasDomer

It should be okay for what you've experienced so far.

7. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I am very very careful not to overstock. That's where you lose fish in a blackout, in winter. This talk will sound bizarre to our Australian, tropical Asian or deep south USA readers, but hey - welcome to a Canadian discussion.

Your cycle will take a hit in a shut down canister. I would run the filter if I could, at least for 16 hours. After that, heat becomes an issue. So I would prioritize keeping the canister in the overstocked tank alive.

If I only had one or two tanks, I would get 'space blankets" at a dollar store or camping place and use them to cover up the tanks. I'd use tape if it were going to be a long one.

Air pumps use ambient air, which means as the room temperature drops, so does the temperature of the air going in. So if a blackout hits in winter, air would work against you. It could begin to cool the tank.

I have seen ice storms and their damage - I lost an entire 40 tank fishroom's inhabitants 20 years ago (except for 2 species). We are seeing a lot more ice now, compared to a few years ago. We had several ice storms this winter, although we dodged bullets power-wise where I am. As our temperatures move up, even a degree or two, we can expect more and more of them, so it is something to factor in. It's an expensive danger.

8. TexasDomer

Good point, I never though about the air pump bringing in cooler air.

9. OP
    OP
    Acadianer

Well said. Good call on the air pump too, altought heating the house gets done tho. We have a wood stove backup :).
    I suppose instead of plugging in the "big" canister, I could always plug in the smaller ones. I run two canisters on both tanks, the smaller canisters being Fluval 306's. I'll plug both of them in for fun to see what the estimate time of running would be for those :)

Thanks!

10. TexasDomer

The bacteria in the canisters that aren't turned on will die though, which is why I suggested removing the biomedia from the off canisters and putting it in the tank to help keep the bacteria alive.

11. OP
    OP
    Acadianer

HAHAHAHAHA, I just figured out how to "like", "thanks" and such on this forum lol

12. OldFort Exotics

OldFort Exotics Valued Member Member

My suggestion is to pick up some battery powered air pumps. You could run air stones or even sponge filters that would really help.

A good habit to get into is watch the weather and when they are calling for bad storms stop feeding 24 hours before it hits. If it missing you it is just a fasting day for them if it does hit the fish will be producing much less waste in the water reducing the odds of losing fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice