What Is It?

GrEEnHornEtt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So over the past few days my tank has been going through a mini-cycle. Ammonia read in at 2.0 ppm. 2 fish have died (I discovered their bodies Saturday morning before my scheduled water change). I’ve been doing water changes and adding tetra safestart, but I’ve noticed that my Dalmatian molly female has developed fuzzy white tips on her fins. What exactly is this, and how do I treat it?

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Got any pictures? They'd help us identify it.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It could be fin rot as a consequence of the poor water quality. What kind of Tetra Safestart are you adding?

I would be doing large and frequent water changes to keep ammonia at or below 0.25 ppm until the cycle catches up.

OP
GrEEnHornEtt

GrEEnHornEtt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i
TexasDomer said:
It could be fin rot as a consequence of the poor water quality. What kind of Tetra Safestart are you adding?

I would be doing large and frequent water changes to keep ammonia at or below 0.25 ppm until the cycle catches up.
'I'm using regular Tetra Safestart, bought at walmart. How much should I be doing, and how often?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm not overly familiar with keeping mollies, so I don't quite know how hardy they are. Personally I would recommend a 50% water change to knock the ammonia down to one, or if you are afraid of the stress from the water changes you could try three 25% water changes over several hours. Then try to see what keeps the ammonia level down until the minI cycle finishes. It may take something daily, probably ranging from 20-40%, once the level is closer to .25. Also, I'm sorry for your loss and I hope your molly recovers, if it's fin rot sometimes it only takes pristine water conditions, but there are medications to treat it.

OP
GrEEnHornEtt

GrEEnHornEtt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rtessy said:
I'm not overly familiar with keeping mollies, so I don't quite know how hardy they are. Personally I would recommend a 50% water change to knock the ammonia down to one, or if you are afraid of the stress from the water changes you could try three 25% water changes over several hours. Then try to see what keeps the ammonia level down until the minI cycle finishes. It may take something daily, probably ranging from 20-40%, once the level is closer to .25. Also, I'm sorry for your loss and I hope your molly recovers, if it's fin rot sometimes it only takes pristine water conditions, but there are medications to treat it.
Are there any medications that you recommend? Planning on stopping at petsmart tomorrow.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I apologize, but I can't give any personal recommendations as I haven't used any... I just did large and frequent water changes daily for a while until it went away because I didn't have a separate hospital tank and was encouraged not to treat my main tank. I know a lot of people on here advocate for the clean water method, but I've also heard Melafix (but not for Bettas) and the heat and salt method. If it's not too severe (sorry I can't entirely tell from the picture) you could try doing a 50% every other day or a 30-25% daily for a while to see if it helps. And it can take up to a month for a fin to grow back completely, but if the method you pick is working, you should see improvement/growth in one to two weeks

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The Tetra Safe Start Plus that I'm familiar with, you add once and don't do water changes for two weeks. I haven't heard that the one to add daily is any good.

I wouldn't use meds at this point (Melafix is basically useless, so I wouldn't waste money on it). I would do a better job with water quality - large and daily changes should help a lot.

OP
GrEEnHornEtt

GrEEnHornEtt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
The Tetra Safe Start Plus that I'm familiar with, you add once and don't do water changes for two weeks. I haven't heard that the one to add daily is any good.

I wouldn't use meds at this point (Melafix is basically useless, so I wouldn't waste money on it). I would do a better job with water quality - large and daily changes should help a lot.
I've been doing water changes, but I have added Pimafix and changed my water conditioner to Prime to help with the ammonia levels a little after doing a water change today. Sadly, i've lost another fish and one of my remaining balloon mollies has come down with swim bladder disease.
Thanks for the help~

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Pimafix is basically useless too. Prime is great though! I would do a water change any time ammonia gets above 0.5 ppm. Dose Prime (without a water change) when ammonia is 0.5 ppm or less. Hopefully your fish recover!

B1GD4DDY

Reaction score
GrEEnHornEtt said:
So over the past few days my tank has been going through a mini-cycle. Ammonia read in at 2.0 ppm. 2 fish have died (I discovered their bodies Saturday morning before my scheduled water change). I’ve been doing water changes and adding tetra safestart, but I’ve noticed that my Dalmatian molly female has developed fuzzy white tips on her fins. What exactly is this, and how do I treat it?
Have you figured out what caused your cycle to crash??? Ammonia at 2ppm is not a minI cycle. It sounds more like a crash. Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? How long was it cycled? You need to try to figure out what made it crash...

OP
GrEEnHornEtt

GrEEnHornEtt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
B1GD4DDY said:
Have you figured out what caused your cycle to crash??? Ammonia at 2ppm is not a minI cycle. It sounds more like a crash. Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? How long was it cycled? You need to try to figure out what made it crash...
My tank had been up and running for 5 months-ish. Recently discovered a malfunction with the filter cartridge, plus the loads of poop in the gravel (7 fish with no vacuum=bad idea) and due to issues with mental health I had begun to doing water changes every other week instead of every week. plus i've always had the suspicion that the conditioner I was using wasn't very good.

B1GD4DDY

Reaction score
So I'm guessing you completely changed out the filter cartridge? If so that was your biggest problem. Nearly all of the BB is found in the cartridge. Generally you will want to leave the old cartridge in for a few weeks until BB establishes itself on the new cartridge. At any rate it looks like you need to re-cycle the tank. Good luck!

OP
GrEEnHornEtt

GrEEnHornEtt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions on how to fix my issue. Sadly, 3 more fish passed yesterday and the remaining two in the night. I'm going to drain my tank and disinfect everything with bleach. Don't know if I'll restart it, or simply keep the tank empty.
Thanks for the help, though.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't think you need to bleach anything. I'm sorry the issues were overwhelming!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom