What is it and how do I get rid of it?

  1. Gordy

    Gordy Member Member

    Just wondering if anybody knows what type of moss/algae this may be?

    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1465389748.890544.jpg

    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1465389976.445542.jpg

    It grows very rapidly and is very stringy and no matter how much of it I get rid of it grows back very rapidly!

  2. r

    rabbott Initiate Member

    Could be thread algae. Check for an imbalance of light or fertilizers in your tank. If your plants are growing quickly there may be too much of something and the algae is living off that. If the plants are growing slowly they could be missing something causing the algae to take advantage of their slow growth.
  3. OP

    Gordy Member Member

    Thanks for that!

    Having Googled images of thread algae it certainly looks to be that indeed!

    Anything good at eating it i.e SAEs, Amano Shrimp etc or even some treatments to rid it as all parameters seem fine (p.s I'm not normally a fan of any treatments but this stuff is really annoying me!).
  4. r

    rabbott Initiate Member

    Not many algae eaters will eat thread algae. It might be better to go with a fish that likes algae. Black mollies or sailfin mollies might eat it if you don't feed them much. I have a few feeder guppies in my tank because I think they are pretty. I don't have thread algae but they seem to eat anything that fits in their mouth. Thread algae likes a lot if iron so maybe your fertilizer has too much iron?
  5. uncclewis

    uncclewis Well Known Member Member

    It looks like phytoplankton. At least part of it
  6. uncclewis

    uncclewis Well Known Member Member

    My advice is to greatly increased water movement and use filter floss. 50 micron you can find on amazon