What Is In The Box, Please - Fluval 107 Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by pagoda, Jul 17, 2019.

1. pagoda

pagodaValued MemberMember

OK...silly question time from yours truly, sorry.... :eek:

I am looking to upgrade the filters in both of my aquariums. They came with an included internal filter that frankly couldn't pull the skin off a bowl of custard....they are identical 84 liter/20g long aquariums

Having hunted and looked at a variety of external filters....and never having used them before....what actually comes in the box besides the filter cannister, please?

Do you get the cannister gizmo, initial media, hoses, fittings, spray bar etc in the box or do you only get the cannister gizmo and then have to go shopping for all the sundries (hoses, media, fixtures and fittings) seperately?

Thanking you muchley in advance :)

2. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

All depends on which one you get. Just look it up on the web and it will tell you what's in the box. But yes everything is usually included except good quality media.

3. OP
    OP
    pagoda

I have tried that and it never says what actually is included in the box...a couple places stated media but others don't and none state if the kit includes all the hoses and fittings etc

4. Cichlidude

Well what filter are you looking at so we can look it up for you.

5. OP
    OP
    pagoda

Fluval 107 external

Thank you :)

6. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

What brand are you looking at? I have the Fluval 206 and 406 and they came with all the media and hoses. Basically everything needed to run it. Also the pictures will usually show what’s included and if you have any questions about a specific brand you can always call their 1-800# or email them.

I would go with a 206 for a 20 long. I have a 206 and an AC50 along with a dual sponge filter on mine. Just an FYI

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    pagoda

I am in the UK and gaining "in the box" information is about as easy as draining blood from a stone......

8. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

what site are you looking to buy it from? Is it brand new? If your going with a Fluval then I would trust everything is included. Canister hoses sponge ceramic and carbon

9. Cichlidude

From the manufacturers web site: Included.

• Bio-Foam Max
    • Bio-Foam
    • Carbon 70 g
    • Quick-Clear
    • Bio-Foam+
    • AquaStop valve
    • Ribbed hosing
    • Rim connectors
    • Intake tube
    • Intake strainer
    • Intake Stem with intake strainer
    • Pre-Filter basket
    • Media basket
    • Media basket cover
    • Media basket handle
    • Suction cup (30 mm)
    • Output nozzle
    • Rubber hose connectors
    • Instruction manual

10. OP
    OP
    pagoda

Excellent, thank you @Cichlidude :)

Much appreciated :)

I have a supplier here who will order in special items that they don't usually stock, and they were not 100% sure of the contents of the box and basically did not want to give me bad intel, which is why I asked here cos someone was bound to know :)

11. JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

I can't speak specifically to the Fluval you mentioned, but from the unboxing videos I've seen the manufacturers are typically rather stingy when it comes to biological media. Not to mention the type they include is often not all that good. Some are, some aren't. If you want really good filtration I'd count on acquiring at least the biological media separately.

I don't believe any external filters come with pre-filter sponges for the intakes. This is highly recommended as you'll stop a lot of the larger bits of muck in a spot that's easily accessible and this will keep the canister from clogging that much faster.

Poked around a bit. shows the features of the "07" series. If you scroll down almost to the bottom of the page it lists how much of which type of media is included with each model. IIRC, their "Bio-Max" media is actually pretty good but there's likely not enough of it to fill the media tray to capacity.

I would second the recommendation to go with the 207 instead of the 107.

Some videos you might find of interest.