What is in my aquarium?

Brooklynn1728

What is this? This is the second time I've found it on the glass of my aqarium. It's like a tiny pebble. It looks like a clear little circle with white in the middle and if I look super close, i can see the white moving

Fishcat

I believe that’s a freshwater limpet. Basically a flat snail.

Upvote 0

Brooklynn1728

I looked them up and that's what they look like! Thank you! Some say they're good others say they're bad. Should I worry? How did they get in there?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I was actually sad when mine disappeared. It isn't unusual to see them in a fairly new tank. They often disappear as quickly as they appear. They aren't a problem so you may as well just enjoy them while you can. By the way I don't know why anyone would say they are bad. As far as I know they don't bother anything in the tank. Maybe a heavy infestation might be considered a problem? Who can know but if you read long enough you will find someone that has had a bad experience with just about anything.

Upvote 0

Fishcat

I haven’t had them go nuts in any of my tanks the way some snails can. They’re fascinating, delicate little things.

Upvote 0

Brooklynn1728

I was actually sad when mine disappeared. It isn't unusual to see them in a fairly new tank. They often disappear as quickly as they appear. They aren't a problem so you may as well just enjoy them while you can. By the way I don't know why anyone would say they are bad. As far as I know they don't bother anything in the tank. Maybe a heavy infestation might be considered a problem? Who can know but if you read long enough you will find someone that has had a bad experience with just about anything.
Thank you! I had no idea what they were. I set this tank up early June so that makes sense. I've seen about 6 of them now. My fish try to eat them but cant get them off the glass. I'll be sure to leave them be. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

Freshwater ones are rare and cool, saltwater ones are a bit more of a pest. Awesome find!

Upvote 0

seamonkeything

Nerite snails are related to limpets, but can only breed if aquarium water has more salinity. If you have a nerite snails in the tank, you did something that most fish keepers find challenging. This could also be a freshwater limpet, which is just as impressive.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
nmct49
Replies
Views
JLAquatics
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies