What is holding you back from starting a saltwater aquarium?

What is holding you back from starting a saltwater aquarium?

• Money - lack of funds

Votes: 72 57.1%
  • Lack of knowledge

Votes: 47 37.3%
  • You think it is too difficult

Votes: 33 26.2%
  • Lack of time to dedicate to saltwater

Votes: 44 34.9%
  • Lack of space for another tank

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • Other reason

Votes: 33 26.2%

• Total voters

Mike

This is just for those of you wanting to start a saltwater aquarium, what is holding you back from setting one up?

You can pick multiple answers in the poll since there could be multiple reasons for not setting one up.

-Mike

#gettingreadytoeatsometurkeyupinhurr

mimo91088

Nothing! I have a 10 gallon nano reef. It's not nearly as hard as people think, and can done as cheaply or expensive as you choose to make it. Some guys can spend 10,000. Then you have a guy like me who's in for maybe like 300.
If you're a serious freshwater hobbyist, saltwater isn't any harder than you're used to, just different.
I still prefer fresh, but some of the saltwater stuff is cool as **** and I encourage everyone to give it a try!

PascalKrypt

No "I'm not interested" option? Seems like a bit of an open door that not everyone who keeps a freshwater tank doesn't do saltwater only because there is something actively holding them back
I guess it looks cool on photos and I love to visit the tanks in the zoo but even in the shop it looks off to me. Somehow it just doesn't draw me at all.

lisa99

We travel some and it’s easy to find feeding help among friends. Saltwater maintenance not so much.

david1978

Laziness.

bizaliz3

No "I'm not interested" option? Seems like a bit of an open door that not everyone who keeps a freshwater tank doesn't do saltwater only because there is something actively holding them back
I guess it looks cool on photos and I love to visit the tanks in the zoo but even in the shop it looks off to me. Somehow it just doesn't draw me at all.

The first post does specify that this poll is for those who WANT TO start a saltwater tank. Lol just sayin.

jinjerJOSH22

Cost, Space, water quality is part of my concern but honestly there are very few saltwater fish I have an interest in mostly inverts and a Snowflake Eels.

PascalKrypt

The first post does specify that this poll is for those who WANT TO start a saltwater tank. Lol just sayin.
Oh sorry! I just saw the poll and read the options and then went to answer the thread with my surprise of lack of that option. Didn't read the OP first because I always check out the poll in the main menu ;-) My bad!

bizaliz3

I voted for the first 4 reasons. Lol

But really....it all boils down to cost to be honest. But I suppose if I cut my freshwater tanks in half from 20 tanks to 10 tanks....maybe I could afford it.

Oh sorry! I just saw the poll and read the options and then went to answer the thread with my surprise of lack of that option. Didn't read the OP first because I always check out the poll in the main menu ;-) My bad!

I figured you didnt see it. I was just teasing you. No apology necessary!!

Joshaeus

I had saltwater tanks in the past and they were among my ugliest tanks, largely due to dense algae growth that appeared no matter how well nutrient levels were controlled...I have considered setting another one up, but the up front and operating costs, coupled with the considerable risk of repeat failure, has held me back.

EDIT: Almost forgot! I like to breed my fishes...not an easy task with most saltwater fishes.

CaptainAquatics

Cost, Space, water quality is part of my concern but honestly there are very few saltwater fish I have an interest in mostly inverts and a Snowflake Eels.

I agree for the most part. If I wanted to I could prob find room for a small saltwater tank but I don’t have the money and some of the fish just seem to colorful. Is that weird to say? Like their pretty and all but they just don’t seem very natural to me (obviously not all of them but some of them just don’t seem natural). Some seem like th painted hermit crabs pretty but not naturally seeming. Except in saltwater fish their color doesn’t hurt them. If I got saltwater I would want few things: lionfish, groupers, eels, crustations.

RyanC14

Lack of money is number one for sure. Also, my parents won't let me get another tank and I don't have a ton of time because of school.

jinjerJOSH22

I agree for the most part. If I wanted to I could prob find room for a small saltwater tank but I don’t have the money and some of the fish just seem to colorful. Is that weird to say? Like their pretty and all but they just don’t seem very natural to me (obviously not all of them but some of them just don’t seem natural). Some seem like th painted hermit crabs pretty but not naturally seeming. Except in saltwater fish their color doesn’t hurt them. If I got saltwater I would want few things: lionfish, groupers, eels, crustations.
No I agree about the color It was the same with freshwater tropical fish i'm just not a fan of those incredibly vivid colorations they just seem out of place in my aquariums. Don't get me wrong I think they look spectacular but I don't have that drive to keep them.

PascalKrypt

I figured you didnt see it. I was just teasing you. No apology necessary!!
No, that's how I took it Just felt a little dumb for not having bothered to read the first post. Anyhow I'll stop hijacking this thread now...

And what jinjerJOSH22 said. It's just .. it looks so. Not right, above ground. I don't have that with freshwater but somehow with saltwater it just feels so wrong, like it really doesn't belong.

grantm91

Nothing !
C1451558-BF05-4F59-B350-625164571E7B.jpg

I live for the salty side

Edit: at first maybe the fear of failure put me off ? Like what if I did it failed and it put me off fish keeping. I just started with a standard tank, rock and clown fish pair. As you see 3 years on things escalated and now I'm an addict lol.

Roger121

Lol I'm 19, I can't pay an RO water system and salt for every time I want to change the water , two years ago I had a couple "Damisela bicolor"only ,in a 60L tank, Idk who is named the "Damisela bicolor" in English xD,I was using tap water and was horrible I sold those poor things and return to freshwater.

jake37

Prefer fresh water - enjoy playing with the plants.

Rcslade124

I just need the funds and space. I want to start with a 75 gallon saltwater tank. But I will be building my own refugium and sump. So money is main issue. Skimmer live rocks 2 tanks polycarbonate sheets for sump water pumps. It's a list that's pricey. Not to mention rodI system. One day. Although it's for the gf. I like freshwater I'm in love with my apistogramma I want a big tank to triple my apistogramma in.

angelcraze

Nothing !

Edit: at first maybe the fear of failure put me off ? Like what if I did it failed and it put me off fish keeping. I just started with a standard tank, rock and clown fish pair. As you see 3 years on things escalated and now I'm an addict lol.
Ok I didn't read the whole first post either, so went to say I'm not interested, but that is GORGEOUS! Never in my dreams could I achieve that.

I picked other because a big reason why I don't do saltwater is my water is soft and I don't want to adjust it. That's why I keep softwater SA fish. Plus I used to fish with my dad, so was always partial to freshwater, it's the only thing I know living in the middle of Canada.

coralbandit

I have salt [since the 1980s] and just don't find it at all as interesting as the fresh water side of fish keeping ..
Even good freshwater keepers may struggle with salt ..Sooo much depends on your source water ...After that it is easy ..
I still have a salt water tank and honestly do less for it then any other tank I have ..My fish are 4-5 years old and I have some simple corals ..
If you are 'good' with fresh then you can keep salt IMO.. Buy an RO/DI and just start out right !
But you will never breed fish in marine tanks like you can in fresh !
Fresh water rules !

FinalFins

Literally all of the choices listed except knowledge. Plus I'm biased.

angelcraze

I have salt [since the 1980s] and just don't find it at all as interesting as the fresh water side of fish keeping ..
Even good freshwater keepers may struggle with salt ..Sooo much depends on your source water ...After that it is easy ..
I still have a salt water tank and honestly do less for it then any other tank I have ..My fish are 4-5 years old and I have some simple corals ..
If you are 'good' with fresh then you can keep salt IMO.. Buy an RO/DI and just start out right !
But you will never breed fish in marine tanks like you can in fresh !
Fresh water rules !
Good point! I really like to see my fish breeding, plus I haven't had to buy a fish for a long time! Maybe the costs deter me a bit too. I guess i'm lazy, the fact is I enjoy Freshwater so much and don't want to stress myself out by messing with water parameters.

Theosprey247

No interest

smee82

Mike you forgot the biggest hurdle to get past wife/husband.

Isnt that what holds everyone back from everything they want to do.

Mike

Nothing !

Beautiful tank!

True. Spouse/partner aggro is a real thing! Just get in to growing corals and you can tell them that you are helping to save the dying reefs by propagating corals that may be needed to reseed the oceans eventually. That one works for me.

chromedome52

I once snorkeled on a reef off the island of Mauritius. I saw a school of Moorish Idols swimming across an open spot in the reef. The height of their fins was beyond anything short of a 10,000 gallon tank, and even that would probably be cramped. I do not believe justice can be done to a Saltwater environment in anything less than swimming pool size aquaria.

I suppose one could say it's a money/space thing, but we're talking several tax brackets higher than I've ever been, so it goes beyond just the cost.

ayeayeron

1. I’m broke cuz i’m 13
2. I can’t drive to go get those expensive things cuz i’m 13 (I was under the impression that saltwater requires more often trips to the lfs I might be wrong though)

jake37

Walk ?

1. I’m broke cuz i’m 13
2. I can’t drive to go get those expensive things cuz i’m 13 (I was under the impression that saltwater requires more often trips to the lfs I might be wrong though)

lilirose

My "other reason" is that the closest shop that stocks saltwater items is a 2.5 hour drive away. The marine section of the shop is absolutely jawdropping but considering how often I've needed "just this one more thing" for my freshwater tanks, I'd need a closer LFS to be willing to consider it.

MissPanda

Money for me, freshwater is cheaper. One day when I'm rich, I will.

akbvlb

Lack of knowledge and time for me, I really want to set up a reef tank but I have too much to learn first. I also won't mess with that till I get my freshwater tank all done. And somehow I'm drawn to what seems to be nearly impossible and that would be trying to make a planted tank for oscars and jack dempseys lol.

NavyChief20

The fact that my ex wife bleached my last one while I was deployed. Kinda ruins the thought of salt water for me.

NavyChief20

Lack of knowledge and time for me, I really want to set up a reef tank but I have too much to learn first. I also won't mess with that till I get my freshwater tank all done. And somehow I'm drawn to what seems to be nearly impossible and that would be trying to make a planted tank for oscars and jack dempseys lol.
My tiger grew up with a Jack. They got along until they got over 8".

Agua86

I'm lacking in knowledge. The more I read on Saltwater aquarium care, the more I realize how unprepared for it I am.

BlackOsprey

Pretty much every reason except for "too difficult." I don't have the money, and even if I did, I certainly do NOT have any more space. I also have college which means I'm not home for half the year. All these reasons added up makes me think I won't be getting into that anytime soon even if I wanted to, so I've done no research on it either.

I'm sure it's perfectly doable, just not with my current place in life right now.

GlennO

Most saltwater fish are wild caught and I prefer to keep captive bred fish.

angelcraze

Most saltwater fish are wild caught and I prefer to keep captive bred fish.
Greatest point to me. I don't keep wild caught fish either.

KribensisLover1

I don’t know how to delete.

KribensisLover1

see that scares me! I’m 39 and I have a serious bf and we don’t live together. I am scared of marriage! I like to do what I want and when I want. I’ve heard people get more ‘selfish’ as they get older!?! The truth is people make marriage sound kind of not great. Eek! LoL

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
  • Question
  • Mike
  • Polls
Replies
Views
chromedome52
  • Question
Replies