What is holding you back from starting a saltwater aquarium?

What is holding you back from starting a saltwater aquarium?

• Money - lack of funds

Votes: 71 57.7%
  • Lack of knowledge

Votes: 44 35.8%
  • You think it is too difficult

Votes: 30 24.4%
  • Lack of time to dedicate to saltwater

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • Lack of space for another tank

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • Other reason

Votes: 33 26.8%

• Total voters

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is just for those of you wanting to start a saltwater aquarium, what is holding you back from setting one up?

You can pick multiple answers in the poll since there could be multiple reasons for not setting one up.

-Mike

#gettingreadytoeatsometurkeyupinhurr

mimo91088

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nothing! I have a 10 gallon nano reef. It's not nearly as hard as people think, and can done as cheaply or expensive as you choose to make it. Some guys can spend 10,000. Then you have a guy like me who's in for maybe like 300.
If you're a serious freshwater hobbyist, saltwater isn't any harder than you're used to, just different.
I still prefer fresh, but some of the saltwater stuff is cool as **** and I encourage everyone to give it a try!

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
No "I'm not interested" option? Seems like a bit of an open door that not everyone who keeps a freshwater tank doesn't do saltwater only because there is something actively holding them back ;)
I guess it looks cool on photos and I love to visit the tanks in the zoo but even in the shop it looks off to me. Somehow it just doesn't draw me at all.

lisa99

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We travel some and it’s easy to find feeding help among friends. Saltwater maintenance not so much.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
PascalKrypt said:
No "I'm not interested" option? Seems like a bit of an open door that not everyone who keeps a freshwater tank doesn't do saltwater only because there is something actively holding them back ;)
I guess it looks cool on photos and I love to visit the tanks in the zoo but even in the shop it looks off to me. Somehow it just doesn't draw me at all.
The first post does specify that this poll is for those who WANT TO start a saltwater tank. Lol just sayin.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cost, Space, water quality is part of my concern but honestly there are very few saltwater fish I have an interest in mostly inverts and a Snowflake Eels.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
The first post does specify that this poll is for those who WANT TO start a saltwater tank. Lol just sayin.
Oh sorry! I just saw the poll and read the options and then went to answer the thread with my surprise of lack of that option. Didn't read the OP first because I always check out the poll in the main menu ;-) My bad!

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I voted for the first 4 reasons. Lol

But really....it all boils down to cost to be honest. But I suppose if I cut my freshwater tanks in half from 20 tanks to 10 tanks....maybe I could afford it.

PascalKrypt said:
Oh sorry! I just saw the poll and read the options and then went to answer the thread with my surprise of lack of that option. Didn't read the OP first because I always check out the poll in the main menu ;-) My bad!
I figured you didnt see it. I was just teasing you. No apology necessary!!

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
I had saltwater tanks in the past and they were among my ugliest tanks, largely due to dense algae growth that appeared no matter how well nutrient levels were controlled...I have considered setting another one up, but the up front and operating costs, coupled with the considerable risk of repeat failure, has held me back.

EDIT: Almost forgot! I like to breed my fishes...not an easy task with most saltwater fishes.

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Cost, Space, water quality is part of my concern but honestly there are very few saltwater fish I have an interest in mostly inverts and a Snowflake Eels.
I agree for the most part. If I wanted to I could prob find room for a small saltwater tank but I don’t have the money and some of the fish just seem to colorful. Is that weird to say? Like their pretty and all but they just don’t seem very natural to me (obviously not all of them but some of them just don’t seem natural). Some seem like th painted hermit crabs pretty but not naturally seeming. Except in saltwater fish their color doesn’t hurt them. If I got saltwater I would want few things: lionfish, groupers, eels, crustations.

RyanC14

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lack of money is number one for sure. Also, my parents won't let me get another tank and I don't have a ton of time because of school.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
CaptainAquatics said:
I agree for the most part. If I wanted to I could prob find room for a small saltwater tank but I don’t have the money and some of the fish just seem to colorful. Is that weird to say? Like their pretty and all but they just don’t seem very natural to me (obviously not all of them but some of them just don’t seem natural). Some seem like th painted hermit crabs pretty but not naturally seeming. Except in saltwater fish their color doesn’t hurt them. If I got saltwater I would want few things: lionfish, groupers, eels, crustations.
No I agree about the color :D It was the same with freshwater tropical fish i'm just not a fan of those incredibly vivid colorations they just seem out of place in my aquariums. Don't get me wrong I think they look spectacular but I don't have that drive to keep them.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
bizaliz3 said:
I figured you didnt see it. I was just teasing you. No apology necessary!!
No, that's how I took it :p Just felt a little dumb for not having bothered to read the first post. Anyhow I'll stop hijacking this thread now...

And what jinjerJOSH22 said. It's just .. it looks so. Not right, above ground. I don't have that with freshwater but somehow with saltwater it just feels so wrong, like it really doesn't belong.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Nothing !
C1451558-BF05-4F59-B350-625164571E7B.jpg

I live for the salty side :)

Edit: at first maybe the fear of failure put me off ? Like what if I did it failed and it put me off fish keeping. I just started with a standard tank, rock and clown fish pair. As you see 3 years on things escalated and now I'm an addict lol.

Roger121

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lol I'm 19, I can't pay an RO water system and salt for every time I want to change the water , two years ago I had a couple "Damisela bicolor"only ,in a 60L tank, Idk who is named the "Damisela bicolor" in English xD,I was using tap water and was horrible I sold those poor things and return to freshwater.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just need the funds and space. I want to start with a 75 gallon saltwater tank. But I will be building my own refugium and sump. So money is main issue. Skimmer live rocks 2 tanks polycarbonate sheets for sump water pumps. It's a list that's pricey. Not to mention rodI system. One day. Although it's for the gf. I like freshwater I'm in love with my apistogramma I want a big tank to triple my apistogramma in.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grantm91 said:
Nothing !
C1451558-BF05-4F59-B350-625164571E7B.jpg

I live for the salty side :)

Edit: at first maybe the fear of failure put me off ? Like what if I did it failed and it put me off fish keeping. I just started with a standard tank, rock and clown fish pair. As you see 3 years on things escalated and now I'm an addict lol.
Ok I didn't read the whole first post either, so went to say I'm not interested, but that is GORGEOUS! Never in my dreams could I achieve that.

I picked other because a big reason why I don't do saltwater is my water is soft and I don't want to adjust it. That's why I keep softwater SA fish. Plus I used to fish with my dad, so was always partial to freshwater, it's the only thing I know living in the middle of Canada.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have salt [since the 1980s] and just don't find it at all as interesting as the fresh water side of fish keeping ..
Even good freshwater keepers may struggle with salt ..Sooo much depends on your source water ...After that it is easy ..
I still have a salt water tank and honestly do less for it then any other tank I have ..My fish are 4-5 years old and I have some simple corals ..
If you are 'good' with fresh then you can keep salt IMO.. Buy an RO/DI and just start out right !
But you will never breed fish in marine tanks like you can in fresh !
Fresh water rules !

New Threads