What Is Happening With My Tank??? It's The Poly I Believe!

Poe

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
IMG_0377.jpg IMG_0378.jpg IMG_0379.jpg
Hi- I'll get right to it. This is my third tank, second time for a first set up.
It's three weeks in. It's a 10 gallon Dennerle tank which I planned to scape a little (first attempt-aside from some plants in my Biorb) and wanted to get some shrimp.
I started with brand new tank, added ADA 5 Fertilizer Penac P+Penac W+Tourmaline BC + Clear Super+ Bacter 100 to the bottom, then Carib Sea Eco-complete planted stratum (I bought Amazonia so was going to add a little to the back if it was ok- it arrived 2 weeks late due to some shipping mishap or I'd just keep for next tank- either way was going to ask about disturbing the tank, but I figured Eco-complete would be ok).
I added the corner filter and beneficial bacteria and it was off!
I had no pH issues with Eco-complete black- but it was leaching cloudy, dark brown color. I did a water change and it seemed to get better- but after a few days discoloring again but less so ( I've looked and no one else seems to have had loss of color from the Eco-complete. I've contacted them and they're sending me a new bag, no one else has had issues with discoloration- it's on the way and I'm from FL so it's not far. Figured I'd start over with Amazonia & Eco-Complete when it arrived. Ammonia spiked two days ago and then dropped back to normal.
I bought some Mopania and boiled it for a week and then soaked it daily. It was only a mild yellow/orange tint so put it in the tank just to experiment- figure why not while I wait.
The next day the water was dark tea colored from Mopani tannins- all levels fine. I put in poly-fill batting (no preservatives, US made) and activated carbon to see how it would clear the water- this was last night. I awoke this morning and the tank has decreased in the color intensity, but it seems cloudier with a white film! It is on the glass, on the mopani wood, anything it touches. What is this?! I have an aquaclear filter in with sponge, (poly-fill from last night), carbon and then biohome as top layer. What is the white film from?! Polyester? Let me know your thoughts and if I should just break down the aquarium now. I'd call this water murky now. I'm trying to use this as a learning opportunity and don't know what I did "wrong". Thank you to anyone that can tell me. Tank is about 3 weeks now.
Thanks to anyone that can help- photos are attached of the white film. You can see where I've wiped the tank front with my hands.
Everything is brand new in the tank so no contamination- I wanted to start a tank on my own again to become more experienced.
Paulina

Poe

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OneLittleBubble said:
If you are talking about the white film on the Mopani wood it is normal and it happens to almost everyone that buys it.
Why was it not there before? And it will cover the whole tank? Filter lines, the glass? I used it in another tank and did not have this. Thank you for your response!

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's the wood. It's grows like a layer of jelly on it. I'd suggest removing the wood and washing it off, you may have to do that a few times. I put mine in the shower and let hot water run over it for a minute or two
It shouldn't be growing on everything, but I remember it got everywhere in the tank because of how much grew

Poe

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kayla.s said:
It's the wood. It's grows like a layer of jelly on it. I'd suggest removing the wood and washing it off, you may have to do that a few times. I put mine in the shower and let hot water run over it for a minute or two
Thanks Kayla- Will do!

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OneLittleBubble said:
If you are talking about the white film on the Mopani wood it is normal and it happens to almost everyone that buys it.
I know there are a lot of new products on the market to set up an Amazonian tank. But I'm older and always had great success by adding peat moss in a filr bag for a few days to turn the water into a nice light clear tea color and slightly acidify the water. It has always worked well for Discus and Angelfish and cories as well as plants.

Poe

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OK- took out the Mopani but it is not covered in the "white", it's just like a film almost at the top only like on the . While I was doing this I noticed a "chemical" type smell from the aquarium- so I broke down the filter. It is ABSOLUTELY, 100% THE BATTING! I only used this as I keep reading it's fine to use. I purchased poly-fil quilt batting, USA made by Fairfield I purchased at JoannFabrics. I had called Fairfiled and they stated all manufactured/fulfilled/processed/packaged in USA (you know how some companies everything is made outside US but then they put in 2 screws in US to "finish" and can call made in US). I HAD rinsed the poly and it seemed fine when I put it in. BUT when I pulled it out it now I DOES give off a chemical smell and when I squeeze it in a clear tray of water it IMMEDIATELY turned cloudy/white like my water. My hands now even smell like the chemical.
Called Fairfield myself and they're going to call me back but ASSURE me no chemical processing or additives- (I bought the one for crib sizes, not that it matters, but I wouldn't put a baby on this weird smelling junk!).
I noticed no such scent from the Poly-Filter. Dang it! Learning I am surely doing!
In the photos you can see where I've used my finger on the filter for the film.
On the second photo you can see what was pure, clear water in a crystal clear glass container where all I did was squeeze the poly- that's what came out after soaking- you can see the clinging film on the sides also of the container also. And it makes my hands STINK!
I'm going to break the tank down, clean off all the film off of everything and restart.
Has anyone else had issues with poly doing this?
IMG_0383.jpg IMG_0384.jpg

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Poe said:
OK- took out the Mopani but it is not covered in the "white", it's just like a film almost at the top only like on the . While I was doing this I noticed a "chemical" type smell from the aquarium- so I broke down the filter. It is ABSOLUTELY, 100% THE BATTING! I only used this as I keep reading it's fine to use. I purchased poly-fil quilt batting, USA made by Fairfield I purchased at JoannFabrics. I had called Fairfiled and they stated all manufactured/fulfilled/processed/packaged in USA (you know how some companies everything is made outside US but then they put in 2 screws in US to "finish" and can call made in US). I HAD rinsed the poly and it seemed fine when I put it in. BUT when I pulled it out it now I DOES give off a chemical smell and when I squeeze it in a clear tray of water it IMMEDIATELY turned cloudy/white like my water. My hands now even smell like the chemical.
Called Fairfield myself and they're going to call me back but ASSURE me no chemical processing or additives- (I bought the one for crib sizes, not that it matters, but I wouldn't put a baby on this weird smelling junk!).
I noticed no such scent from the Poly-Filter. Dang it! Learning I am surely doing!
On the second photo you can see what was pure, clear water in a crystal clear glass container where all I did was squeeze the poly- that's what came out after soaking- you can see the clinging film on the sides also of the container also. And it makes my hands STINK!
I'm going to break the tank down, clean off all the film off of everything and restart.
View attachment 436200 View attachment 436201
Never had issues like this but it must be nerve wracking. So sorry you are going through this. I have only used poly a couple times to help polish the water and this never happened. I would definitely keep in touch with the company to figure it out.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I worked in a laboratory for years experimenting with mixing polymers. There may not be any uv protectants added for this type of product, but it may contain antioxidants such as Irgonox that could leach out into the water. Soaking in a strong bleach solution first would destroy the antioxidants. Or try polyfil from a different manufacturer.
danhutchins said:
Never had issues like this but it must be nerve wracking. So sorry you are going through this. I have only used poly a couple times to help polish the water and this never happened. I would definitely keep in touch with the company to figure it out.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
finnipper59 said:
I worked in a laboratory for years experimenting with mixing polymers. There may not be any uv protectants added for this type of product, but it may contain antioxidants such as Irgonox that could leach out into the water. Soaking in a strong bleach solution first would destroy the antioxidants. Or try polyfil from a different manufacturer.
Looks like you responded to the wrong person.. LOL.

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't have problem with Jo-Ann's poly fill either.
I assume boiling the wood for ONE week has weakened the wood and you have some bacterial growth going on.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Poe said:
View attachment 436200 View attachment 436201
I worked in laboratories for years experimenting with many types of polymers including polyester. Their are usually only 2 types of preservatives that would be added to a polymer. One is for UV protection if it's going to be used outside. Polymer fiber wouldn't need that. Th 2nd is an antioxidant, but that would not be used in polyester fiber either. If it said no preservatives, that's what they would be talking about. If you squish unused poly fiber in clear water and it causes any discoloration, then there is contamination. If it's only happening after it's been in your tank, then it's coming from the water in your tank. You can dunk and leave poly fiber in bleach, acid, or alkaline and see no degrading of the fiber. It's also impervious to degradation in water. It will capture any particles in the water but doesn't absorb chemicals. I use it to cut filters for my own canister filter. They do catch gunk and need to be cleaned or replaced once in awhile, but they don't cause problems as filters.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom