What is happening to my guppies?

SpecialPatrolGroup

At first I thought maybe swim bladder but this fella will be the 7th in a week that I've either euthanised or found already dead.

My water parameters are fine, tank has been set up for about ten months, very happy fish, no bullying (rather a lot of fry lol) and no sign of any illness *except* for the guppies. One minute fine, next minute the barest discernible twists, next minute bending almost in half sideways and having trouble staying straight. It's always the same, and it's only the guppies. I don't know what to do :-(

Video attached of the guy I just removed and and had to euthanise.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/v450/Sarahpen01/Fish(1).mp4

Chris4Jesus

i cant see the vid what size is your tank and how many fish and what type of fish is in the tank. Is it just one fish doing this or several. Also and Chemicals in your tank?

SpecialPatrolGroup

As in, did the video not load? I'm having some issues with it.

The tank is 110L, with four platies, three mollies, eight Cory cats and about six adolescent guppies. There *were* about 12 or 13 guppies. There are some fry, between three weeks and a few days old.

It's overstocked but I'm *very* vigilant about water quality and filtration. Good mix of live plants, good quality food, water parameters perfect.

This has happened over the course of about ten days. As I said above, it's only happening to the guppies and this guy tonight was the 7th one.

I use Fluval biological enhancer and Seachem Prime for water changes.
i cant see the vid what size is your tank and how many fish and what type of fish is in the tank. Is it just one fish doing this or several. Also and Chemicals in your tank?
Have just uploaded video again.

Thunder_o_b

Well, there are a myriad of possible causes. But lets just look at the groups.

1. Have you added fish to the aquarium that have not got through 4 weeks of quarantine in the last month?

2. Air borne contaminants. Hair spray, refinishing wood, painting etc.

3. New additions to the aqua scape, examples are painted things from China, and things you found outside.

4. Children.

5. Cats or any pets that would take interest in going after the glass.

6. What ever the source of your water have you noticed a change in the smell however slight?

7. Then there is genetics. Are all the guppies from the same stock? Guppies are notoriously inbred.

And not to upset you but, "the parameters are fine" is not helpfull. A history of readings over the last month could show a change in numbers that would indicate an underlying issue even if the single reading is in the safe zone.

Keep in mind different fish (even different strains of the same species) can react very differently to contaminants. Discus will not survive in water that other fish thrive in.

Best wishes.

Chris4Jesus

I would agree with you it could be swim bladder. If you water is good. It could be the food. Floating fakes can cause them to gather air wile eating. Old food can sour in there belly and cause it. This is what i would do. I would not use any meds i would go get a small container of new food to insure it is fresh. Flakes is fine take the food and put thim in a small cup of water till it sink and them pour the food in the water to keep it from floating do not feed untill it is your normal feeding time.also get a cucumber cut it in slices like a watermelon not circular. Boil it 5 to 8 min and tie a plant weight or something to make it sink. Your sick Guppies may not eat on the cucumber but it will help your other Guppies

SpecialPatrolGroup

1. Have you added fish to the aquarium that have not got through 4 weeks of quarantine in the last month?

3. New additions to the aqua scape, examples are painted things from China, and things you found outside.

4. Children.

6. What ever the source of your water have you noticed a change in the smell however slight?

7. Then there is genetics. Are all the guppies from the same stock? Guppies are notoriously inbred.

And not to upset you but, "the parameters are fine" is not helpfull. A history of readings over the last month could show a change in numbers that would indicate an underlying issue even if the single reading is in the safe zone.

Keep in mind different fish (even different strains of the same species) can react very differently to contaminants. Discus will not survive in water that other fish thrive in.

Best wishes.

No.
No.
Definitely no.
4. Children.
Yes, but they're older kids and uninterested in my tanks.
Yes, we have three cats and they sometimes sit and stare at the aquarium. Occasionally they will put a paw on the glass, but that's it. And they've been doing that for months - no changes recently.
Nope.
Yes, they are all related. They're the fry of fry of fry of fry. So to speak.
Aaand - therein lay the problem. I decided to take some water into my LFS to have it tested. - because my testing kit (API Master kit) is about a year old.

pH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm

But the nitrates were off the charts - 160ppm+. I looked up nitrate poisoning and that's what it is. It also explains the fact that there is algae on the back wall of the tank when it has never, ever had algae before.

So I've thrown my nitrate test liquids into the garbage and bought new ones. Now for the task of getting the levels back to normal. I'm horrified, my poor fish :-(

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cheesecake
Replies
Views
Aquariumlover1357
Replies
Views
0morrokh
Replies
Views