What is happening to my fish tanks?! Please help!

_:lmcw:_

Between my roommate and I, we have 4 tanks in our apartment: 15 gal reef, 29 gal reef, 29 gallon freshwater, and a 55 gal freshwater. They are all in different rooms. Until this morning, they were all healthy and I had just taken water samples of all tanks to be tested at my lfs on Sunday to make sure my own testing equipment was working properly (I do this once every 6 months). They said everything was where it should be. the tanks range between 2 years and 4 months running not including cycling time.

this morning, I woke up to see my 15 gallon reef crashed all invertebrates dead, both clowns dead, my corals dying and my water cloudy. I then discovered my roommates 29 gallon in his room the same way, all fish and invertebrates dead, corals dying, water cloudy. we thought the power may have gone out, but it hadn't. we took samples of our tank water, our top off ro water and our premixed saltwater for water changes to the lfs and our tank water had extremely low ph and high nitrates, everything else was perfect. he gave us some ph boosters and told us to do 50% water changes and our corals started looking better.

that was when we noticed our freshwater tanks had gotten cloudy since we got back from the lfs. I can't find my cherry red shrimp colony anywhere, we are currently testing the freshwater, so far ph is normal and nitrates are normal on the shrimp tank, the ph is little low for the other oscar tank. all fish appear normal.

what could be happening? I haven't added any new water to the shrimp tank in a week and its been 2 since we added new water to the Oscar tank. please help!

skjl47

Hello; Perhaps something in the general environment? Has someone changed cleaning chemicals or some other such thing?
Have you had any company that may have somehow added something to the tanks or the environment of the residence?
Could the neighbors have used some sort of spray or something that can migrate into your apartment?
Has the apartment managment done any spraying or other such?
Could you or the roomate have had something on your hands from work or such?

in the past week we have had 18 inches of snow, so I am sure no one sprayed anything outside, we are careful to wash our hands before handling them and we haven't changed anything in the apartment, I use the same cleaning supplies I have for the last 10 years... I was just informed by a neighbor the power flickered briefly early in the morning, but only a second and we have surge protectors on all tanks. My roommate has a bubble tip anemone that is fine... I am so frustrated!

CodyJ

Um I wonder if the salt they use could do something

that doesn't explain the freshwater tanks, though.

skjl47

Hello; Not to dwell on the point too much, but I have had tanks poisoned on purpose by people. I have also known a few other fish keepers whose tank populations have been killed this way. I do not understand the why, just that some people will do these things.
I also know of people causing problems without intending to by not understanding tanks.

I was not thinking of spraying outside, but more that someone may have done such in the closed building and thus trapped the stuff inside?

Does anything, perhaps an air pump, service all the tanks? Any common foods? Any common equipment used?

Mike

Since its happening on all the tanks and ph dropped so much.... Thinking carbon dioxide buildup in the home since in winter the level of co2 inside can go up because not enough fresh air is getting in... But man, it would really have to go up a lot to affect the tanks that way.

Maybe one of your friends did something to mess with you.

Atomsk

What kind of people would do such things?

I'm refering to what skjl47 had said.

Does anything, perhaps an air pump, service all the tanks? Any common foods? Any common equipment used?

All of our saltwater supplies, equipment and food is strictly used on the saltwater tanks and the same for freshwater, with the exception of my water testing kits (only test tubes come in contact with actual tanks).

I thought about the idea that someone could have messed with all of the tanks, but the 15 gal reef tank is in my room, which I keep locked when I'm not in there... it would make perfect since about the others.

My mind keeps thinking about any sort of airborn contaminants, kinda scary to think I could be breathing it in myself, but no one smokes here and we don't even spray air freshener around the tanks... I want to say each apartment has its own ventilation because surely that's a health risk of its not?

I'm to the point I don't even want to try reviving my tanks except to sell them... I've been keeping aquariums since I was 10 and have never even heard of this happening... I found hundreds of little dead worms and bugs that had surfaced my sand and rock so I'm pretty sure I no longer have "live" rock or sand

skjl47

What kind of people would do such things?

I'm refering to what skjl47 had said.

Hello; In my case it was high school students. In another case a fish shop in Lexington KY had a display tank with several nice clown loaches. Someone dropped a chemical into the tank.
I have read posts describing how a visitor dropped gummy bears into a persons fish tank.

skjl47

All of our saltwater supplies, equipment and food is strictly used on the saltwater tanks and the same for freshwater, with the exception of my water testing kits (only test tubes come in contact with actual tanks).

I thought about the idea that someone could have messed with all of the tanks, but the 15 gal reef tank is in my room, which I keep locked when I'm not in there... it would make perfect since about the others.

My mind keeps thinking about any sort of airborn contaminants, kinda scary to think I could be breathing it in myself, but no one smokes here and we don't even spray air freshener around the tanks... I want to say each apartment has its own ventilation because surely that's a health risk of its not?

I'm to the point I don't even want to try reviving my tanks except to sell them... I've been keeping aquariums since I was 10 and have never even heard of this happening... I found hundreds of little dead worms and bugs that had surfaced my sand and rock so I'm pretty sure I no longer have "live" rock or sand

Hello; I rented an apartment that had common ventilation between the apartments. I do not smoke and kept smelling cigarette smoke. I found that the smell was coming thru common vents. I moved as soon as I could.
Good luck

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lunafish
Replies
Views
FindingDory
Replies
Views
NotFishyFishGuy
Replies