What Is Growing On This Turbo Snail? Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Snails' started by Platyarelife, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Platyarelife

PlatyarelifeWell Known MemberMember

I think it's algae but after looking at a long list and pictures I couldn't find anything like it. Did the same with hitch hikers and found nothing. It's growing pretty fast too. (My boyfriend's tank and snails. I know nothing of saltwater.):pompous:What is this odd growth? Looks like a dandelion before it flowers, lol.

Attached Files:

2. Iverg1

Iverg1Well Known MemberMember

It’s an algae called mermaids cup. Seems that fish don’t like get rid of it

3. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

Any idea of how to get rid of it?

4. Iverg1

Iverg1Well Known MemberMember

Never mind seems to be harmless I think it looks cool but turn off tank light so it can’t get any nutrients trimming it and pulling it doesn’t seem to work

5. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

It is cool! But it's growing on all the turbo snails, poor little guys. My boyfriend likes it and thinks he's cool for having a snail with a forest growing on his back :rolleyes:

6. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

This is awesome!:D If it's harmless, I'd definitely let it ride and see what happens.

I had two tiny things grow on a trochus snail once... They looked exactly like micro sized zoa coral polyps. They didn't seem to hurt the snail and eventually died off. I was kinda sad about that.:rolleyes:

7. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

I think he wants to see if they will grow into cups on the snails before getting rid of it, haha. I found online that this algae are hard to grow but his is growing a lot! Even found a website where someone wanted to buy mermaids cup, lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice