What Is Growing On The Driftwood?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JRS, Apr 25, 2017.

1. JRSWell Known MemberMember

2. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

The start of some sort of hair algae would be my guess.

3. JRSWell Known MemberMember

What do I do get rid of it? I am only seeing it on the driftwood.

I remember a couple of years back seeing something similar on my daughters driftwood, but I can't remember what happened as I think we only had the tank a short time after.

Can I just pull the driftwood out and scrub it off?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  4. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I'm not really sure. I started getting it once on some java moss and I took it out of my tank and tried a few different things to get rid of it, but ended up pitching it.

Scrubbing it off with some really hot water might help out. Maybe even boil it if you can.

5. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

It looks like some type of fungus. How long has it been in your tank and how did you treat it before you added it

6. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

I would pull it and see if peroxide killed it. Not sure what it is tho

7. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I'm looking at the pic a little better...is that white stuff kind of stuck to the drift wood but you can scrape it off with your nail?

8. JRSWell Known MemberMember

I imagine I can boil it or user peroxide. If I used peroxide, would I put it in a bucket and pour it over or would it need to soak. Also after the peroxide is it safe to put back in or would I need to something else with it.

I can scrape it off with my nail, actually took a layer of wood off with my nail.

It has been in the tank for probably 2 1/2 years. I didn't treat it, but got it from a good LFS and it was in their tanks.

a1951f131700e846ad979adfcdeb9443.jpg454e8184b2d2539febe2178efc991e29.jpg
    Two close ups.

9. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I've actually seen this before on wood that was left in an area (fell down) and was left there for a long time (years possibly). I think it is a type of bacteria that eats the surface of the wood. It could even be some sort of moss/fungus.
    I'd try the peroxide bath, scrub it down real good after with some hot water and rinse, rinse, rinse. Should be good to go back in the tank after that.

10. JRSWell Known MemberMember

Thanks I will give that a try.

11. JRSWell Known MemberMember

I just wanted be sure - 100% hydrogen peroxide bath or do I dilute the peroxide?

12. ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Straight from the bottle.

13. HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

It's organics that leach out of the wood. It's not harmful and the bacteria feeding on it will eventually go away once the food source diminishes.

You should see my spider wood, 100x worse.

14. Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

I had this white translucent slime grow on my spider wood even after i soaked it for 2 weeks...it ended up resolving itself (i rinsed in tank water each water change) and wasnt a detriment 2 my tank...it was unsightly which bothered me the most. Considering that wood is so porous alot of "stuff" seeps in!

15. JRSWell Known MemberMember

Ok Maybe I will take a wait and see approach. If it doesn't go away after a bit, I will try the peroxide approach.

By the way - how long does a piece of driftwood typically last before it really starts to fall apart and need to be removed?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice