What Is Growing On My Plant?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by nicoless, Apr 23, 2018.

1. nicolessValued MemberMember

It's an Amazon sword. It's definitely struggling, turning pale and brown. :-/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. Mbross325Valued MemberMember

That looks familiar to the amazon sword I once had, it’s just algae. Simply rub it off all the leaves and stems gently, this is an indicator that there’s too much nutrients in the water or too much light for the algae to absorb. Could be other things as well but that’s what I was told when I asked about this last year

3. nicolessValued MemberMember

I'd actually increased the light since I'd read that it kills the algae. I'll lower it again and keep rubbing the algae off when I do water changes. The plant seems to be dying, and I didn't think algae was that dangerous to plants or fish, just an eyesore. :-/ Here's hoping.

Thanks for your help!

4. Ryan PValued MemberMember

It's more of really finding the good balance for your tank. On mine I'm still figuring it out I'm having algae issues as well still finding the right balance of light and CO2 but slowly getting there (hopefully). So for example you need high amount of CO2 to counter balance if you high lighting and vice versa.

For sword turning brown or dying though, they are heavy root feeders, so what kind of susbtrate do you have?

5. nicolessValued MemberMember

Thank you-- I'll continue to work on the balance, too. I'm pretty new at this-- are there artificial ways to increase CO2 in a tank?

That's good to know about the sword being a heavy root feeder. I have Fluorite Black substrate, about 3 inches deep.

6. Ryan PValued MemberMember

you can try excel but still different than actual pressurized CO2.
    You can maybe try adding root tabs, your sword might like that. I have a Soiled tank so I don't use any root tabs and my Amazon Sword is growing like crazy

7. nicolessValued MemberMember

Cool, I'd heard of root tabs but not excel. I'll see how it responds to the tabs.

I definitely want a soiled tank for my next setup!

8. Ryan PValued MemberMember

Yeah it was a fun experience for me. Careful with excel though some plants might melt. I know Vals doesn't tolerate excel so use it with pre-caution. and follow the instructions at the back. Good Luck!

9. nicolessValued MemberMember

Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice