What Is Going On ??? Help

1. Makenna L

Makenna L New Member Member

IMG_8553.JPG

I was under the impression this was a male lyretail molly..... but it either is pregnant, or has a sickness I don’t know about. I know I’m not overfeeding. None of my other 5 fish look like this.

Anyone have any answers for me?
    Thank you

2. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Is that a molly fry's tail sticking out of it's backside?

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, that looks like a molly fry tail sticking out..... that's really weird.

4. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

It looks like she has been carrying this little guy longer than she should have and it might be too big for her to expel it. Hopefully she will be able to get it out soon. If not I feel sure the fry won't survive and it could possibly even kill her. I don't know if it is possible for you to give her a helping hand without causing damage to her. :(

5. OP
    OP
    Makenna L

So this is in fact a female? The odd thing is, is that she/he has had this since I got it. Like.... 3 months ago.

I don’t think it’s a fry. It’s been there since I got her

6. mattgirl

That could very well be it but it looks like more than just an extra fin. It looks to me like I actually see part of a little fish. I am sure you can see it better in person than we can from a photo though.

7. OP
    OP
    Makenna L

Can you confirm it’s a female?

IMG_8564.JPG

Here’s a clear pic. Watcha think?

8. mattgirl

I am only going by what looks like a fry hanging partially out of it. Other than that no, I'm afraid I can't confirm either male or female. It does have a body shape like I would expect a female to have though. My female mollies have a much more rounded belly compared to my thinner males. My mollies are creamsickle mollies instead of lyretail and they may have different body shapes.

At least it doesn't look like a fry in this photo so that is good news. The rounded belly still leads me to believe this is a female though. The fins are definitely throwing me off though.

9. OP
    OP
    Makenna L

Right? She looks so strange.

Thank you for the help tho! I appreciate it!

10. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

It looks like a male to me that my have some balloon genes to give it that belly.

11. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

I'm totally missing the illusion in the first picture lol. I see two pelvic fins and an anal fin. It is absolutely female.

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

There's no gonopodium that I can see. It's female for sure.

13. S

Sree Hari Nair New Member Member

I am no expert but i think all male molly will have a genopodium like this one has IMG_20180628_125712.jpg