What is going on with my tank?!?!?!?

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A little over two weeks ago my fishless cycle finished. I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and less than 10 nitrates. Cycled tank. I add 3, just 3, tiny skunk cories to the tank (a 46 gallon). Now I know that I disturbed the bacteria. When I done a PWC before adding the cories, I got a lil overzealous on cleaning. I disturbed the gravel by vacuuming it. I swished the charcoal filter in the tank water but I didn't replace it. I put the same filter back in. Pretty much instantly the ammonia went up to .25 after adding the cories. This was over two weeks ago and that's pretty much where it has stayed. Occasionally going up to .5. I've been using Ammolock to protect the fish. I lost one of the cories right off the bat. So now I'm down to 2 cories (and tons of pond snails).

Yesterday I noticed my water getting cloudy. I thought, good, that means that I'm having a bacteria bloom and maybe my ammonia will finally go away. NOT! I just tested the water and the ammonia is at 5!! Not .5 but straight up 5. What the heck?!?!? The water is even more cloudy and there's weird white stuff hanging on to the walls of the tank. Can anyone explain what is going on?

RandomZoid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Are you using liquid tests? Paper strips can be inaccurate.

I would guess by over cleaning you started a new cycle and disturbed the good bacteria. I would buy a product like stabilize by Seachem or colony by ATM and use as directed. This will restore good bacteria.

If this isn't an option you could do 25-35% water changes everyday and treat new water and tank water every day with prime to detoxify the ammonia.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm using liquid test.
I ordered tetra safe start and prime first thing this morning. It probably won't come in until Monday though. I done about a 60-70% WC this morning. Got the ammonia down to 1.

RandomZoid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
yea tetra safe start should help get new good bacteria. On monday I would first do a 50% water change and dose the new water with prime and while the tank is at 50% dose the water in the tank. After its full add the TSS as directed. Good luck. In the future avoid excessive cleaning at the same time. I clean my rocks sometimes when they get an ugly brown color but I always do only a couple at a time and not at the same time I clean gravel or rinse out filter media

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You should use Seachem Prime to protect your fish from ammonia. By using Ammoblock, you're starving the bacteria, so you'll never get through the mini-cycle.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
See, I had read that the formula for Ammolock was changed so that the tank could still cycle. I read up on before adding it. But now I'm wondering. I've had ammonia for 2 wks. It should have gone away by now.

I tried so hard to be careful with cleaning. I didn't scrub walls or decorations. I didn't touch the filter floss. But I guess in a barely cycled tank any cleaning is too much.

Meeps83

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you use Prime, make sure you do it more than 24 hours before you use the Tetra Safe Start.

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Why is that?

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well who knew? Ok. Thanks.