What is going on with my ph?

Colomark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yesterday i did a 40-50% water change and switched from all gravel to 1/2 sand in my 29 gal. I used petco brand white sand. I actually covered a lot of gravel to try and maintain more bio filter. I did kick up some gunk so today im testing. Everything is good except my ph is whacky and i do t know why. With api test strips i get a very low reading with api master test kit it is crazy high. Most fish seem fine my bn pleco is MIA and my cory seems stressed. Ive triple checked and im using imagitarum aquatic substrate not crushed coral or another ph raising thing. What do i do?
3B936FC6-69AD-488E-A031-0F3FCD7919CC.jpeg
55E76A31-E558-48E0-B327-B2463F9FFFE6.jpeg

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I personally would trust the liquid kit over the strips. Have you tested with the liquid before? Is 7.6 higher than your previous results? When was the last time you tested? What is the ph of the water source you use?

Also 7.6 isn't really "crazy high", it's basically neutral and the two fish you mentioned should be fine in it (assuming it rose slowly or has been stable at this).

Rylan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
There’s a high ph test kit and the regular ph test kit. When it reads that high on the regular one you’re supposed to use the high ph liquid test to get an accurate reading.

my tap reads as 7.6 on the regular one and as 7.4 with the ‘high’ ph kit .

Colomark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, dechlorinated h20. Been pretty solidly 7.0 or even 6.8 before. Im going to test the tap. Everyone is swimming and happy so i guess all is well?

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ph 7.6 is ok to a lots of fish.Do some research about what fish you have on ph range.Fish will adapt well with low or higher a bit by time.So! If they are still alive and swiming and enjoy your feed.I think they are fine and will be more better next week if you just add them in tank ..

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Vinh said:
Ph 7.6 is ok to a lots of fish.Do some research about what fish you have on ph range.Fish will adapt well with low or higher a bit by time.So! If they are still alive and swiming and enjoy your feed.I think they are fine and will be more better next week if you just add them in tank ..
Do the high range pH test as @Rylan suggested. Your pH may be 7.4. A pH of 7.6 is not high and perfect for most commercially available community fish that are accustomed to pH ranges between 6.8 and 8.2.
More pH sensitive fish may do better with a higher pH (7.8-8.6): African Cichlids, Saltwater (Marine) fish & Brackish water fish, some do better with a lower pH (7.2 and lower): Discus, Oscar's & Altum Angelfish.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good point!
Momgoose56 said:
Do the high range pH test as @Rylan suggested. Your pH may be 7.4. A pH of 7.6 is not high and perfect for most commercially available community fish that are accustomed to pH ranges between 6.8 and 8.2.
More pH sensitive fish may do better with a higher pH (7.8-8.6): African Cichlids, Saltwater (Marine) fish & Brackish water fish, some do better with a lower pH (7.2 and lower): Discus, Oscar's & Altum Angelfish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom