What is going on with my Java Fern?

Zephyrski

Hi all. I noticed my crested Java Fern turning brownish for some reason, any ideas of what's going on or how to help it? Thanks:)

PlantedCommunityTank132

do you think there are enough nutrients in the water?

Blacksheep1

Looks like diatoms / algae to me . Try to give the leaves a gentle brush . How long are your lights on for ?
Can I just say your ( spikey?) moss is looking lush !

Zephyrski

do you think there are enough nutrients in the water?
I'd think so, I've added a liquid fertilizer, and the tank seems pretty good for live plants, I have another Java Fern and it's doing great.
Looks like diatoms / algae to me . Try to give the leaves a gentle brush . How long are your lights on for ?
Can I just say your ( spikey?) moss is looking lush !
A gentle brush with a toothbrush or something along those lines? Uhh I'd say for atleast 8 hours or so? There is soemtimes when direct sunlight gets into the tank before I can cover it up if that has anything to do with it.
Why thank you, I'm happy it's doing well. It's actually Java moss, but I heard if it isn't close enough to the light it'll go spikey like that. I don't mind I actually like that look. I think its java moss anyways..

Well I looked up spikey moss and mine does seem very similar to it. Ah who really knows what kind of moss we get hah

Blacksheep1

Is this one closer to or more exposed to natural day light than the other one maybe ? Yeah try just a brush off with your fingers first to see if that helps , if not then a soft toothbrush works wonders ! My Anubias definitely benefited from a this when I had a diatom bloom.

Java and spikey moss look the same to me either way !! It still looks great no matter the specific name :D

Zephyrski

Is this one closer to or more exposed to natural day light than the other one maybe ? Yeah try just a brush off with your fingers first to see if that helps , if not then a soft toothbrush works wonders ! My Anubias definitely benefited from a this when I had a diatom bloom.

Java and spikey moss look the same to me either way !! It still looks great no matter the specific name :D
I don't think so.. they're both about the same I'd say. However the one in question definitely gets the bulk of the lighting from the tank, maybe that's got something to do with it?
Either way, I'll be sure to try my fingers first and just deal with it when it comes, thank you. Could that be what's all over it, making it look kinda dying? The browness I mean.

I definitely agree. They both look amazing, and the both look pretty the same to me too! :)

Blacksheep1

Yeah that would help with the algae growth. Do you have any snails ? My nerites did a great job of munching it all off when I had an algae bloom in a new tank. Try the toothbrush in old tank water if not , just give a gentle scrub each water change and it should settle down eventually

Zephyrski

Yeah that would help with the algae growth. Do you have any snails ? My nerites did a great job of munching it all off when I had an algae bloom in a new tank. Try the toothbrush in old tank water if not , just give a gentle scrub each water change and it should settle down eventually
Yeah I've got a nerite. He's been doing well at keeping it off the glass more or less, I think the plant might be a bit difficult for him to get on. However I will be sure to do that thanks.

Blacksheep1

Yeah I've got a nerite. He's been doing well at keeping it off the glass more or less, I think the plant might be a bit difficult for him to get on. However I will be sure to do that thanks.
Maybe try and get a leaf touching the glass if possible without too much re arranging. He will glide right on .
Good luck !

Zephyrski

Maybe try and get a leaf touching the glass if possible without too much re arranging. He will glide right on .
Good luck !
Oooh that's a good idea. I'll have to try that out thank you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fanatic
Replies
Views
EbiAqua
Replies
Views
JJ3204
Replies
Views