What Is Going On With My Betta? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by adh/smile, Jun 24, 2018.

1. adh/smile

adh/smileWell Known MemberMember

Hey everyone,

I have been a betta keeper for many years and I pride myself to think that I'm an expert on them (Hope my joke goes well with y'all). Of course I'm not an expert, and I'm always learning new things. However, I do know quite a bit about these beautiful fish and their illnesses. But the betta I have now has me stumped.

Starting about 4 days ago my betta slowly lost his appetite. Well, he would come up and nip at the food acting like he was starving, but he wouldn't open his mouth and actually consume the food. It is really weird. It's like his jaw has clamped shut and can not open. Yesterday, he only surfaced for air and a look at the food once that I saw, but otherwise he just laid at the bottom of the tank. Today, he hasn't hardly moved from his little cave. I did a water change because the tank needed a cleaning (I was putting it off, not really wanting to stress him out). He seems a little better with the water change, his orange color has come back a little, but he still hasn't moved. There is a lump below his jaw, where both his gill covers meet on his throat. I've noticed it grow a smallest bit bigger yesterday and now today. It's so strange and I don't know what to do.

He lives in a 10 gallon tank, heater temperature automatically set to 78 F, filter, light off most of the time (not wanting to stress him more), Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate around 7. I don't know why he's ill all of a sudden and why it came upon him so quickly.

NOTE: He is a crown tail betta and his fins are naturally that ragged. He is not suffering from fin rot or anything like that. His fins are fine.

2. AJE

AJEWell Known MemberMember

Is he alive?

3. OP
    OP
    adh/smile

Yes he is still alive. I want to help him, but I don't know how. This lump on his throat is unlike anything I've seen before. I had a neon tetra in a different tank that had the same thing: stopped eating, laid down at the bottom of the tank, then died. My betta is at the "lying down stage" it seems and I'm worried that he will die. His gills are moving quite fast.

4. Aly's_Betta

Aly's_BettaNew MemberMember

I have no idea what's going on...I'll do some research on it though and let you know if I find anything. Is he old?

Also I heard that because bettas are so inbred that they can easily develop tumors.

5. OP
    OP
    adh/smile

UPDATE: It's been over a week now and my betta has not improved. I've been giving him Epsom salt baths but I'm not sure if they're helping much. I think it's just a matter of time now before he dies :( He hasn't eaten and he has a hard time swimming to the surface to breathe. I've moved him into a little cup with shallow water that allows him to breathe easier, but it's still very hard for him. I'm so surprised he's hung on for this long.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice