What Is Going On With My Betta’s Fins

Zeros

Reaction score
I’ve had Walter for 5 months. I noticed some fin voids at the base of the fin the other day. Today the fin split entirely into several strands going all the was down to the fin base. The fish is acting completely fine and looks healthy. What in the world is going on with my betta’s fins?

5 gallon tank
78 degrees F
pH 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5 ppm

Yesterday
6C119E39-6C0D-4EFA-AACC-A046B8396553.jpeg

Today
5F758D43-9B14-45C7-B617-24109E9AFEBC.jpeg

rhyan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm just a beginner owner but I as far as I can see it can be fin rot. Just for precaution maintain water change and try to add an indian almond leaves in your tank ( or in another tank if you want to quarantine your fish and not mess the main tank water color). I tend to use it than any chemicals also even if my betta is healthy I still tint his tank with it. Hope yours will be fine and nothing bad happens btw he has a cool color I love it.

Zeros

Reaction score
rhyan said:
I'm just a beginner owner but I as far as I can see it can be fin rot. Just for precaution maintain water change and try to add an indian almond leaves in your tank ( or in another tank if you want to quarantine your fish and not mess the main tank water color). I tend to use it than any chemicals also even if my betta is healthy I still tint his tank with it. Hope yours will be fine and nothing bad happens btw he has a cool color I love it.
I’ve been keeping bettas for many years now and it’s definitely not fin rot or fin melt. This is something entirely different.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What’s the lighting in the room look like. Could he have been flaring at his reflection and flared a little too hard. Never seen it in a betta but have seen guppies rip a fin getting jiggy with it.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It definitely looks like a physical tear. Like he got them caught on something maybe.

rhyan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Zeros said:
I’ve been keeping bettas for many years now and it’s definitely not fin rot or fin melt. This is something entirely different.
Well if that's the case just monitor him for a couple of days. Is he alone in the tanks? It's just weird that in closer look it seems naturally splits doesn't look like it was ripped or nipped.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom