What is going on?! Suddenly everything is going wrong!

LHAquatics

around a week ago, I added a betta fish and a platy to my tank (no quarantine). The betta was first stressed but is now acting normal, but still has a stress stripe. Yesterday, I see my Harlequin rasbora upside down. I took it to a small 1 gallon tub for now until I set up the Quarantine. This morning I woke up and another Harlequin rasboras is missing its back tail and one eye (Still alive). My old platy now has a sunken stomach and its fins are clamped. What do I do? All I have is ich X and Aquarium salt. should I separate them?

SheldonTheSnail

Take the betta fish out

jdhef

It appears you have a pretty aggressive betta, so you are going to have to get it a tank of it's own.

As to treating the injured fish, pristine water condions will go a long way in helping healing.

Best of luck!

NearMeBettas

Personally, I would separate the betta into his own tank, I would guess he is attacking the rasboras and would treat the entire tank with stress meds and if issues continue maybe M blue. Make sure your water is pristine. The platy looks like he has a whole other thing going on then the rasboras. I also would recommend QTing any new fish for at least a week unless they are from a trusted breeder with no prior issues.

LHAquatics

My betta is a female betta btw. I will see what I can do. How about the platy? RN I am at school, when I get home I will check the water parameters.
bump.

Cherryshrimp420

Seems like a long term issue with your old platy. Have you been observing them recently? What led to the sunken stomach?

LHAquatics

I found them dead yesterday.

Blacksheep1

All of them? The betta too?

LHAquatics

All of them? The betta too?
no just the platy and the rasbora. The platy was very healthy, active, and colorful, and then suddenly he got bloated, his stomach got sunken, and died. The rasbora on the other hand was found chopped up.

Blacksheep1

The rasbora would of been the betta. With the platty it could either be stress or something the betta brought in. Don’t buy any new fish for at least a month and carefully watch for any signs of infection or disease. Keep your water as clean as you can with regular wc’s. What size is your tank ? If she’s that aggressive you may end up keeping her alone or species only.

Cherryshrimp420

no just the platy and the rasbora. The platy was very healthy, active, and colorful, and then suddenly he got bloated, his stomach got sunken, and died. The rasbora on the other hand was found chopped up.
Ah ok so the bloat should have been the first warning sign. Unfortunately fish usually cant recover from it. Could be poor water quality, too much feeding, low quality food or other causes...

LHAquatics

I started the fish in in April this year. I feed them dried blood worms and dried brine shrimp. The tank is established and has 0 nitrites and ammonia ia. Everything was going well. I didn't change anything, not the feeding amount or food type. I will try buying a 5 gallon tank tomorrow to separate it. The tank is a 29 gallon btw.

Cherryshrimp420

I started the fish in in April this year. I feed them dried blood worms and dried brine shrimp. The tank is established and has 0 nitrites and ammonia ia. Everything was going well. I didn't change anything, not the feeding amount or food type. I will try buying a 5 gallon tank tomorrow to separate it. The tank is a 29 gallon btw.
How often and how much are the water changes?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishkeeping7777
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
EvanTheLegend
Replies
Views