What Is Going On In My Tank?!?

Newfishmomma

First things first:
10 gal tank
1 male communal betta (used to being around other fish, and very active)
1 male platy-orange
2 female platy-orange
1 female platy-blue

Weekly water changes every Monday
water parameters as of this morning:
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm

Okay, so these past few weeks, I have been dealing with some serious personal issues, and haven't been the best fish momma... All I've been doing is the daily feedings and the weekly cleanings, without really spending any time checking on or caring for my fish babies beyond that. That kind of changed two weeks ago when during a water change, I noticed my male platy had swim bladder issues. I moved him to the quarantine tank and stopped feeding him for 3 days while I continued feeding the others, then fed everyone peas (because who doesn't need peas once in a while) to clean them out. When I saw no improvement in him, I asked around, and after hearing no good news, I returned him to the tank with his mates, and continued dealing with my personal issues. Earlier this week, these personal issues started to ease up, and I felt like I was finally able to really focus on MY life again, and get back to normal. As I was cleaning out the tanks yesterday, I didn't notice anything different, other than the male platy wasn't improving, but was steadily getting worse.
I also noticed my betta was a bit lethargic, which isn't like him, since he loves swimming all over the tank. Today, I set aside an hour to really watch my fish and monitor their behavior. Here's what I noticed.

Betta spends all his time laying around on either the bottom or up against one of the plants or the filter. He has no physical signs of distress, no torn fins or damages scales, and is showing no signs of aggression towards his tank mates, nor is he on the receiving end of aggression from his tank mates. I have no explanation for his lethargy. He eats well whenever presented with food, and appears to be pooping well too, although I cannot be 100% sure since he's tucked away most of the time.

betta.jpg
My male platy has been struggling with swim bladder issues for nearly a month now, that I know of. It has slowly gotten worse, from flopping onto his side only, before being able to right himself, to being upside down for a few seconds, before finally being able to turn over, to looking like he's riding a rollercoaster. He hides behind the filter, or any other tight, upright space to keep himself upright. Other than the Cirque de Fish-eh performances, he shows no other physical signs, although he does struggle to eat. Thankfully, his tank mates make sure he gets enough food... I even saw one of his orange females eat a flake then swim to him and spit it out in his face. He ate it. (this was the best photo I could get of his performance since he usually shies away from the camera)
male platy.jpg
The two orange females don't appear to be showing any signs of illness whatsoever. They are behaving like they usually do, aside from the supportive behavior they have begun showing their male mate. Thankfully.

The blue female has been behaving aggressively towards the male platy, nipping at his fins and chasing him around a bit. I'm not sure why, but I did quarantine her as soon as I noticed this blemish on her right side. I'm not sure what it is, but it looks like a few missing scales, or a couple raised scales, or maybe just a wound... I don't know. Maybe you can help. The area is slightly swollen in comparison to the rest of her though. It doesn't appear to be dropsy, mainly because it's only affecting a small area, but I could be wrong. It is the reddish, inflamed area halfway down her body between her gills and her bright blue spot (not the dark MM ears on her tail).

blue platy 1.jpg
blue platy 2.jpg
blue platy.jpg

I honestly don't know what is going on. Ironically, the temperamental fry tank has been thriving, and I've managed to give away all but 6 of them, with 2 more being rehomed within the next few weeks, but my established, main tank with my adults is falling apart. My personal problems all started Father's Day weekend, and I've been trying to balance everything, but I feel like a failure. Every time I am away from my tank for more than 12 hours, SOMETHING goes wrong. I spend the night at a friends, and half my fry die (first batch, not current one). I go to the beach for the day, and my tank gets ich. I visit a dying friend in the hospital and spend the night, the next day my tank has a brown algae outbreak.
I try to balance some personal stuff while taking care of my tanks, and I end up with 3 sick fish!

HELP!!! PLEASE TELL ME THERE COULD BE ONE THING CAUSING ALL THESE THINGS, AND IT'S CURABLE!

Thanks.

Jellibeen

What is the water flow like? Bettas don’t like strong currents. He could be exhausted from trying to swim with his long fins.

In the picture, it looks as though the quarantined platy is in the same tank as the others, in a fry enclosure. I suggest you put her in a separate quarantine tank. If it’s contagious, it can spread to tankmates.

Newfishmomma

What is the water flow like? Bettas don’t like strong currents. He could be exhausted from trying to swim with his long fins.

In the picture, it looks as though the quarantined platy is in the same tank as the others, in a fry enclosure. I suggest you put her in a separate quarantine tank. If it’s contagious, it can spread to tankmates.
Water flow is almost identical to the flow I've had for the entire time I've had the Betta... For months now. In fact, I took out one of the bubblers I had in there BECAUSE of the fish with swimming issues. Yes, the blue fish was in a floating hospital/birthing tank. I originally put her in there because she was bullying the sick male, and she looked like she was about to give birth. It was only after I put her in there that I noticed this. Now she's in the hospital tank. It was just easier to take the photos while she was in there.

helpmyfishplease

I can't really tell from the pics -- is there any kind of cave or other decoration where your betta can hide/get away from the other fish? Or floating plants for a break from the lights?

Jorged0712

First things first:
10 gal tank
1 male communal betta (used to being around other fish, and very active)
1 male platy-orange
2 female platy-orange
1 female platy-blue

Weekly water changes every Monday
water parameters as of this morning:
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm

Okay, so these past few weeks, I have been dealing with some serious personal issues, and haven't been the best fish momma... All I've been doing is the daily feedings and the weekly cleanings, without really spending any time checking on or caring for my fish babies beyond that. That kind of changed two weeks ago when during a water change, I noticed my male platy had swim bladder issues. I moved him to the quarantine tank and stopped feeding him for 3 days while I continued feeding the others, then fed everyone peas (because who doesn't need peas once in a while) to clean them out. When I saw no improvement in him, I asked around, and after hearing no good news, I returned him to the tank with his mates, and continued dealing with my personal issues. Earlier this week, these personal issues started to ease up, and I felt like I was finally able to really focus on MY life again, and get back to normal. As I was cleaning out the tanks yesterday, I didn't notice anything different, other than the male platy wasn't improving, but was steadily getting worse.
I also noticed my betta was a bit lethargic, which isn't like him, since he loves swimming all over the tank. Today, I set aside an hour to really watch my fish and monitor their behavior. Here's what I noticed.

Betta spends all his time laying around on either the bottom or up against one of the plants or the filter. He has no physical signs of distress, no torn fins or damages scales, and is showing no signs of aggression towards his tank mates, nor is he on the receiving end of aggression from his tank mates. I have no explanation for his lethargy. He eats well whenever presented with food, and appears to be pooping well too, although I cannot be 100% sure since he's tucked away most of the time.

betta.jpg
My male platy has been struggling with swim bladder issues for nearly a month now, that I know of. It has slowly gotten worse, from flopping onto his side only, before being able to right himself, to being upside down for a few seconds, before finally being able to turn over, to looking like he's riding a rollercoaster. He hides behind the filter, or any other tight, upright space to keep himself upright. Other than the Cirque de Fish-eh performances, he shows no other physical signs, although he does struggle to eat. Thankfully, his tank mates make sure he gets enough food... I even saw one of his orange females eat a flake then swim to him and spit it out in his face. He ate it. (this was the best photo I could get of his performance since he usually shies away from the camera)
male platy.jpg
The two orange females don't appear to be showing any signs of illness whatsoever. They are behaving like they usually do, aside from the supportive behavior they have begun showing their male mate. Thankfully.

The blue female has been behaving aggressively towards the male platy, nipping at his fins and chasing him around a bit. I'm not sure why, but I did quarantine her as soon as I noticed this blemish on her right side. I'm not sure what it is, but it looks like a few missing scales, or a couple raised scales, or maybe just a wound... I don't know. Maybe you can help. The area is slightly swollen in comparison to the rest of her though. It doesn't appear to be dropsy, mainly because it's only affecting a small area, but I could be wrong. It is the reddish, inflamed area halfway down her body between her gills and her bright blue spot (not the dark MM ears on her tail).

blue platy 1.jpg
blue platy 2.jpg
blue platy.jpg

I honestly don't know what is going on. Ironically, the temperamental fry tank has been thriving, and I've managed to give away all but 6 of them, with 2 more being rehomed within the next few weeks, but my established, main tank with my adults is falling apart. My personal problems all started Father's Day weekend, and I've been trying to balance everything, but I feel like a failure. Every time I am away from my tank for more than 12 hours, SOMETHING goes wrong. I spend the night at a friends, and half my fry die (first batch, not current one). I go to the beach for the day, and my tank gets ich. I visit a dying friend in the hospital and spend the night, the next day my tank has a brown algae outbreak.
I try to balance some personal stuff while taking care of my tanks, and I end up with 3 sick fish!

HELP!!! PLEASE TELL ME THERE COULD BE ONE THING CAUSING ALL THESE THINGS, AND IT'S CURABLE!

Thanks.

From the water parameters you posted everything seems to be fine. However, you did not mention the temperature. Do you have thermometers in the tank? 10 gallons of water (less with all the substrate and plants/decorations) can fluctuate it’s temperature rapidly.

I would start by monitoring the temperature in the tank for an entire day. I would pick a regular day without any abnormal weather outside.

Large fluctuations in temperature can cause stress on the fish and make them susceptible to disease. I live in Miami, keeping an aquarium near a window will definitely affect the temperature. I don’t even have to use heaters because of this.

If you find that the temperature goes above 79f (which is the max for platies according to seriouslyfish) or that it fluctuates more than 3 degrees more than once throughout the day then there’s your problem. The temperature fluctuation is stressing your fish.

Yes, some will argue that in nature temperature fluctuations are normal. But in nature, fish live in enormous bodies of water and temperature fluctuations are gradual. 10 gallons of water is a tiny body of water and will warm up/cool down much quicker.

My personal example: I have 2 tanks: 125 gal, and 29 gal. Both kept next to each other near a large glass sliding door where daylight and sun hit all day.

The 125 will fluctuate between 76 in the morning and 78 by the end of the day (if it was sunny). The 29 will fluctuate from 76 to 82-85 if I don’t use a fan to cool it down via evaporation and that way I kept it between 76-78 as well.

125 gal of water is so much that it does not fluctuate temperature so easily, 29 gal of water is so small that it fluctuates temperature extremely easy.

So you have to watch for the temperature fluctuation. Just monitor it for a day or 2.

Also, check the ph of the water you’re putting inside your tank during water changes. Large PH fluctuations can also cause the same issues.

Newfishmomma

Sorry for not replying right away... Things have been hard here. My temp stays at 78 all the time. I live in a very hot climate, where even at midnight this time of year it's still in the high 90's. My air conditioner is always running, and my windows have blackout curtains on them. Because of all this, my tank sits in the middle of my house, with the nearest window or door being 20+ ft away.
I took tons of videos and talked to a couple local pet stores, and as it turns out, the orange guy had swim bladder problems that continued to get worse as the days progressed... Unfortunately, he reached a point where euthanasia was the most humane thing to do.
Blue, had anchor worm, which I apparently caught before the "worm" had actually presented itself. The telltale white worm appeared 2 days later.
And the betta... With half of his tank mates sick, was depressed.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EmeraldGriffin
  • Question
Replies
Views
BenjiBear
  • Question
5 Gallon Tank When tanks go wrong
Replies
Views