Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
On the contrary, Flourite is great for plants.

It also won't bother the shrimp.

Flourite (when new) is a nutrient rich substrate designed for the planted aquarium. I guess you'd call it Potting Mix for the aquarium.

Overtime, the nutrients will be 'eaten' by the plants, generally about 3-4 months (I think), at which time you need to consider adding fertiliser tablets to the substrate.

Hope that helps. (I use Flourite black in my tank)

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Excellent info from Ryan. Flourite is good stuff so long as you don't have to do the rinsing when it's new. It takes a lot of effort to clean new flourite. As Ryan found out.
Yours should be fine though seeing as it's already in the tank. Just don't let it dry out or you will have to rinse it again & that would be a pain in the posterior.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oh yeah, I forgot to mention the part about the cleaning..... :;juan

ooopppsss.... Thanks for the reminder nutter (like I could forget)

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you for the info. Bad news is the gravel/flourite has dried out, so I may have a headache cleaning it but I love the dark colors and my shrimp will stand out perfectly on it.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can use a little patience, just put an inch or so of water in the tank. Leave it to sit for a day & then place a plate on the substrate. Slowly fill the tank the rest of the way pouring the water in over the plate. That will minimise clouding as it's filled. Be sure to add your solid decor like rocks, wood & ornaments BEFORE you add any water.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Flourite: Flourite is a fairly common mineral. It is rich in MICRO NUTRIENTS which are slowly released, making it a good addative to aquarium substrates.

Flourite also occurs as beautiful crystals in many colors. Green and blue flourites are even faceted gemstones...though very soft, it does not make good jewejery to wear, but is collected by gemstone collecters.

Many clays are also rich in decomposted flourite and are also rich in the micro nutrients and make good aquarium substrates...usually, sand etc. is added so the clays are not too dense. Much of this for the aquarium business is baked to make more of a beathable substrate as small nodues.(very small)

Matthew RJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just got some flourite (15 lbs) & 25 lbs of regular gravel. I have to re-start my tank due to poison problem (!) - thinking of flourite to improve the plant life.

They warned me about rinsing at the store ...any tips out there?

Will 15 lbs of flourite & 25 of regular gravel be enough for my 30 gal tank?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads