what is considered shallow water? Help

1. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I keep reading that tiger barbs live in shallow water, but what is shallow water to them? Everything I skimmed through so far just says shallow, but shallow is very subjective and doesn't answer the question.

2. renthus Well Known Member Member

I consider shallow to be a foot or less in depth. However, I really don't think barbs *care* for the most part. The only aquatic critters that I know of which actually care about vertical space are ADFs and angels (and to a very small degree, bettas)

3. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I was reading and I saw where tiger barbs tend to favor shallow water for breeding.

4. renthus Well Known Member Member

I suspect that it's not that they favor shallow water, but rather that they favor what often comes with shallow water. Shallow water (*cough* shorelines *cough*) often has thicker plant life, which means the eggs and fry are much safer.

5. Jim Well Known Member Member

Shallow water depends on the type of fish. A foot is shallow to an oscar but home to a guppy.

6. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Guppies like shallow water (a foot or less). Many fish breed in the shallows because of plant cover. A lot also breed in the shallows because it's slightly warmer. I've kept tiger barbs in 2ft of depth several times and they love it.

7. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Okay, but what is shallow for tiger barbs?

8. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I don't know about barbs specifically, but I would guess about a foot or less generally constitutes shallow for most fish just like everyone else is saying. And the comment about the added coverage makes a lot of sense to me. Plus could be instinctual in hatching their fry - it would seem, at least to me, that fry would have a much harder time swimming, hiding and escaping predators in deeper water. So it could be a biological imperative aimed at preservation of their specie. Just a thought. I think the additional benefit of shallow tanks at least is that they tend to be longer which provides more length for active swimmers. I've been doing a lot of reading on the benefits of shallow water, specifically for goldfish, and have really grown fond of long, shallow tanks seeing my ranchus in their 20 long QT. It would be my dream to have a 20 foot long, maybe 2 feet wide and 12-16" tall tank that I could just line an entire wall with and fill with...yep, ranchu, lol.

9. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I'm thinking about making a plexiglass 3'^2 tank with 6" of actual water depth. (From top of gravel to air) I'd put my tiger barbs in it and free up some room for more african cichlids in the 55g.

For the long shallow tank I could use my 425gph power head to filter the water and create a stream effect for the tiger barbs.

Right now my 425gph power head is in my 20g water holding tot and pumps the new water into the tank after tank cleaning.

10. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Haha you are quite handy. Maybe one day you can build my dream tank for me :) Good luck!

11. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Thanks, but i'd def have someone cut the pieces for me lol. Got to get the wife onboard as well :(

12. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Doesn't this mean they breed in shallow water, not live in it. I can't see tiger barbs living in 6" of water.

13. delta5 Well Known Member Member

From my reading they live in shallow streams and as well as deeper water. They're also horizontal swimmers. If anything I can use such a shallow tank for breeding them.

14. renthus Well Known Member Member

Keep in mind that they probably aren't crazy about the strong currents for breeding -- Since shallow water is on the banks of rivers, and because the main current is baffled by plants and rocks, the water is much, much slower. Go take a look at a river or stream near your house and you'll see what I mean. I suspect that barbs primarily live in the middle, but then just come up to the banks to breed.

(I say this having never even considered owning a barb)

15. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I may go up to 10" of water. I may even just wait for a 20g long to go on sale.

16. renthus Well Known Member Member

Aren't they on sale now? I think petco is having their dollar per gallon sale.

17. delta5 Well Known Member Member

The 2 petco nearest me don't have any 20g long and they told me the 20g longs aren't on sale?

18. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Got a 20g long for 20 bucks at petco. Using a cheap 10-30 whisper quiet in it for now. I wanted to put the tiger barbs in it so I could have more space for cichlids, but my wife decided that the 20g long needed some sort of glow fish... She brought them home and doesn't even know what they're called.

They sort of look like danio glofish, but their body is clear and they have a very distinct red, blue, or white line along the top and bottom.

19. fishingdeep Member Member

Wish you well and a happy wife ........