What Is Consider Healthy Food Alter Condition?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Aquarifish, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Aquarifish

AquarifishNew MemberMember

Look at the picture and tell me. This guppy aquarium is probably 5 years old, no water change no filter, there are around 40 guppies in there. They breed like crazy, every year around breeding season there will have over hundred of frys and the owner gives them out to friends who wants them. Just look at how clouded the water is, but the guppies are striving years after years.

Typo in title sorry about that, autocorrect.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  2. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

guppies are quite hardy and can take more abuse then others. but wow that tank is really dirty and cloudy

3. OP
    OP
    Aquarifish

Because the tank is so dirty, the frys will not be eaten by the adults.

4. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

yes but then the water quality is probably poor

5. Swampgorilla

SwampgorillaValued MemberMember

*** MAGIC! ***

Who knows? I have seen goldfish thrive in rusty old stock watering tanks out in the middle of a cow pasture. No filter (just a lot of green algae, sometimes green water, which is good for them and acts as a natural filter). Temperature of the water getting up to and prolly over - 80 degrees sometimes.

Who knows?

6. OP
    OP
    Aquarifish

It might not look good but it gets the job done lol

7. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Just because the guppies are active and breeding doesn't guarantee health.

8. Swampgorilla

He didn't mention lots of them dying though either and spawning is a pretty good indication of fish that aren't under stress.

TO THE OP: It would be a great science project if you could sample that water and tell us what the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are in that tank. I've always been amazed by the amazing.

9. OP
    OP
    Aquarifish

My friend live quite far from me so I don’t go there often. I can tell you the owner collect rain water for the tank. He says the water is “alive” it’s like an old Chinese aquarium trick. I’m not encouraging anyone to use rainwater in their aquarium. For my own aquarium I use conditioned tap water with some plants.

Attached Files:

10. Lorekeeper

Well, the problem is that they're guppies. Most guppies are extremely hardy, and their main objective in life is to breed as fast as possible, and they'll do so in most conditions. I acclimated one to saltwater, and the little bugger is still alive in one of my LFS's display tanks.

Am I saying that this tank is awful? ...not really. But I don't like how it's run, and I don't think that a tank should be run like that.

All that said, it's not my tank.

11. Swampgorilla

Oh no, I agree that the tank shouldn't be run that way - it looks horrible! But guppies living in a neglected tank for FIVE YEARS and still spawning hundreds? I agree that guppies are hardy fish - but they are not miraculous fish.

Something's going on in that tank ... I'd like to know what it is.

12. Lorekeeper

I'd say it comes down to a few things.

If any of those plants are real, and the tank gets enough light, they'll absorb some ammonia from the water. The same goes for all the algae on everything. That may end up helping water parameters.

The rainwater trick is, IMO, complete ****, not to offend. As long as your water source isn't contaminated, it shouldn't be any worse than rainwater. In fact, it may be better due to the minerals and such in modern tap, and the lack of pollution.

Another thing to consider is the PH of the tank. If the PH in the tank happens to be acidic (below 7.0), then ammonia becomes steadily less toxic. If the PH in the tank is sitting around 6.0 (guppies could handle that, I think), then ammonia would only be deadly in relatively large quantities, making 0.5 PPM survivable long-term.

All that said, it's still pretty cruel to the fish. I could build at least a filter for these guys with $10, and then weekly water and de-stocking a bit would improve their quality of life ten-fold.

13. Jenoli42

Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

observations:

1. the color of the water suggests high nitrates... or tannins. with the plants we might be surprised to find nitrate levels fine tbf

2. we are on rainwater. it's not magic and I doubt it's any more alive than any other water (unless that refers to it not being treated with chlorine or other public health additives?). it's got 0kH/0gH... so we must buffer it to have stable parameters.

3. Jeff Goldblume had an appropriate quote for this in Jurassic Park. "Life finds a way."

4. I'm dying to know the parameters now lolz :)

14. OP
    OP
    Aquarifish

I can grab a small bottle next time I go and get the sample tested. It’ll be a few weeks before I go back again.

15. FishMich

FishMichValued MemberMember

This is interesting to me. Hubby keeps telling me when he and his dad kept fish, they never did a single water change and the fish lived for years. I’m not able to let things ride like that, I like knowing that I’m doing what I can to keep the fish healthy, but it’ll be interesting to see what the chemistry of that tank is.

16. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Years ago, I probably only did a few water changes a year. It wasn’t a partial change either; it was a full break down. I’d remove all the fish and decorations, then empty and disinfect tank with bleach solution. As bad as it sounds, my fish lived for a long time. My Red Bellied Piranha lived to its full lifespan of 8-9 yrs.

17. Jeffsglo

JeffsgloValued MemberMember

I would say, since these are very hardy fish, that they adapted well. This does not mean they are as healthy as s clean tank. Look at it this way. When someone smokes, they don’t die right away. It takes years, and years off your life. Not good for the fish.

18. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Good and valid point Jeffsglo. Thing is, it's almost borderlined "magic". More like black magic though. Just as some high tech fishkeepers vaingloriously claim to have tanks that "do not need water changes", or never need to change the water etc. Kinda like a semi-exploited mad scientist's project, almost contradicting nature's fundamental application, threshold and effects after the facts. But as far as common sense can be applied, the tank IS very dirty. Emphasize: unnaturally dirty. Also another example, could be said for pathogens in water: Sure the water is disgusting and foul, but life still manages to press on, as Jurassic Park Jeff said heh Or...it's kinda like the food industry: (See the documentary, Food Inc.) Thousands of chickens kept in a controlled coop and environment, stuffed together like a NYC subway at rush hour, ALL the time. But life is still capable. But at a congested, rather unhealthy scale and proportion. Which is to say, that very same concept likely applies to those poor guppies. However, I've seen MUCH worse than that tank. Meaning I've seen some Petco tanks! lol...

19. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

im a little confused on the breeding season. Mine bred all year long in my 29 and i was pulling out 40-50 every month.

20. Gypsy13

Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Mine don’t recognize seasons either.